Broccoli Cheese Soup – Stove Top Recipe. Once all the broth is added, whisk in the milk and increase heat to med-high. Let this mixture come to a low boil. Once it reaches a boil, stir in the broccoli and lower the heat to med-low.
Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Saute garlic in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add chicken broth, heavy cream, and chopped broccoli. You can cook Broccoli Cheese Soup – Stove Top Recipe using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Broccoli Cheese Soup – Stove Top Recipe
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of large carrot, peeled and finely diced.
- You need 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1/4 cup of unsalted butter.
- You need 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- It’s 2 1/2 cups of unsalted chicken or vegetable broth.
- You need 2 1/2 cups of milk at room temperature.
- Prepare 2 of heaping cups fresh chopped broccoli florets.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded + extra for topping.
- You need 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of each salt, pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp. of dried thyme.
- You need 1/8 tsp. of each dried oregano, ground nutmeg.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup. Saute onion: Melt butter in pot over medium-high heat. Add liquids: While whisking, slowly pour in milk then chicken broth. Drain, remove vegetables and set aside.
Broccoli Cheese Soup – Stove Top Recipe instructions
- Place the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add in the carrots and onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent…about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute or so more, until fragrant. Then add in the butter and let it melt down..
- Gradually whisk in the flour in small batches. Whisk constantly until all the flour is added and incorporated. Mixture will be very thick. Allow the mix to cook for 1 minute, continuing to whisk..
- Whisk in the broth in small amounts, whisking constantly, until fully incorporated. Once all the broth is added, whisk in the milk and increase heat to med-high. Let this mixture come to a low boil..
- Once it reaches a boil, stir in the broccoli and lower the heat to med-low. Allow to simmer until the broccoli is tender…about 7-9 minutes. (If using larger sized florets, it may take longer). Then stir in the cream cheese and let that melt down into the soup..
- Stir in the seasonings and taste to see if you think it needs anything else. Then, if you'd like a less chunky soup, use an immersion blender to puree to the desired consistency. You could also use a blender or food processor in small batches, just be careful not to burn yourself..
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in both of the shredded cheeses until it is all melted and incorporated in. That's it, you're ready to serve!.
In the same saucepan, saute onion in butter. While mixture is simmering, chop the broccoli and carrots. Add the salt, pepper, optional paprika, optional dry mustard powder, and optional cayenne. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions.