Black Iron Skillet Dutch Apple Pie. Place in bottom crust and form, careful as pan is hot. Place top crust, trim and pinch all around the rim. Roll out an extra ¼ inch each side.
Remove skillet and sprinkle with brown sugar; return to oven to heat while you prepare the apples. Cast-iron skillet apple pie is easy to prepare using refrigerated pie crust, Granny Smith apples, and buttery brown sugar base. Spoon apple mixture over piecrust, and top with remaining piecrust. You can cook Black Iron Skillet Dutch Apple Pie using 20 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Black Iron Skillet Dutch Apple Pie
- Prepare of For The Crust.
- You need of (1 1/2) Sticks Butter Diced.
- You need of (3) Cup Flour.
- Prepare of (1) Tsp Salt.
- It’s of (1) Tbsp Sugar.
- It’s of (1/3) Cup Shortening.
- It’s of (1/2) Cup Cold Water.
- It’s of For The Filling.
- Prepare of (3) Tbsp butter.
- It’s of (1/2) Cup Brown Sugar.
- You need of (5) Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and thin sliced.
- Prepare of (1/2) Cup Sugar.
- It’s of (1/4) Cup Flour.
- Prepare of (1) Tbsp Lemon Juice.
- You need of (2) Tsp Cinnamon, devided.
- You need of For The Topping.
- You need of (1/4) Cup Flour.
- Prepare of (1/3) Cup Sugar.
- Prepare of (1/2) Cup Butter, cubed.
- You need of (1/3) Brown Sugar.
Place butter in large iron skillet and place in oven to melt. When butter is melted, stir in brown sugar, place back in oven and let that melt together. Cast Iron Skillet Apple Pie is one of Trisha's favorites! Warm the skillet over medium heat on your stove top.
Black Iron Skillet Dutch Apple Pie instructions
- For The Crust..
- Add Flour, Salt and Sugar to stand mixer. Mix with paddle 30 seconds..
- Add butter and Shortening, mix until dough is pea sized..
- Add water 1/4 Cup at a time. Mix until ball forms..
- Place on counter, divide in 2. Plastic wrap both balls, place in refrigerator..
- Let rest in refrigerator 1 hour..
- Place ball on floured board or wax paper. Roll out, fold in half, set aside..
- Roll out the 2nd ball, set aside..
- For The Filling.
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit..
- Melt the 3 Tbsp butter on stove in cast iron pan. Add (2) Tbsp of the brown sugar. Stir until mixed. Turn off heat..
- Place in bottom crust and form, careful as pan is hot..
- Mix/ Coat Apple slices in a bowl with 1/3 cup sugar and 2 Tsp Cinnamon, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and (1) Tbsp Lemon juice. Place on the bottom crust..
- Place top crust, trim and pinch all around the rim. Slice top crust a few times..
- Mix topping ingredients with fork until crumbly. Spread out over top crust..
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. (I put a baking sheet under the Skillet to catch overflow) Remove from oven, let rest to room temperature. Slice..
Once the butter is melted, add the brown sugar to the skillet and swirl it around a bit. Do this for about three minutes until it begins to dissolve. Dutch Apple Pie is the best version of apple pie! Instead of a top crust, you enjoy a sweet crumble topping over a mound of delicious apples. Everyone will agree that this is the best apple pie they've ever had.