Cumin rice. Trouva brings you beautiful homewares from the best independent boutiques around the world. We make it easy for you to discover just the right piece for your home. Heat the oil in a medium size saucepan over a medium-high heat.
When you are ready to cook, drain all the water from the rice and set the rice aside. Heat ghee in a pot and add the whole spices and cumin seeds to it. Once the cumin seeds start spluttering, add the chopped green chilli and drained rice to it. You can cook Cumin rice using 5 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cumin rice
- It’s 1 tsp of oil.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- You need 1 cup of basmati rice.
- Prepare 2 cups of water.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt (optional).
On a medium heat, heat the olive oil, then add the cumin seeds until they sizzle. Be careful not to burn them – or the rice will taste bitter. Add the rice and the salt and mix well so that the cumin seeds coat the rice. Fry till light brown and then add the cumin seeds.
Cumin rice instructions
- Wash and soak rice for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds..
- Once the cumin seeds turn dark brown, drain rice and add it to the bowl. Mix so the rice is coated with oil. Add salt, if you are adding it..
- Once mixed, add water and cover and continue to cook on medium flame. Once you see the water boiling turn the heat to low and put a timer for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off after the timer goes off and keep the rice covered for another 10 minutes..
- Last step is to open the rice and fluff it with a fork..
- Other options: Can add 1/2 cup frozen peas to the water before you cover it..
The seeds will splutter and sizzle to show they are done. Now add the rice and stir well. Cook the rice in lots of boiling water until the rice is soft on the outside but still has a tiny bite to it. To a wok or kadhai, add oil and let heat on medium flame for a few seconds. In a small skillet (I use this cast iron skillet) or a tadka pan add the Clarified Butter (ghee).