French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup. After ordering this soup many times at restaurants, this recipe reproduces precisely what French Onion Soup is supposed to taste like. Look, French Onion Soup a challenging soup to eat: chunks of chewy cheese and soggy bread floating on top.but it's supposed to be that way. Add the hot soup to the bowls and lay the croutons on top.
Cooks Note: One of the most unpleasant tasks associated with French Onion soup is chopping the mounds of onions required. Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. I miss my old recipe of french onion soup. You can have French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup
- It’s 6 of large and sweet onions.
- It’s 30 ml (1 oz) of extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- It’s 60 g (2 oz) of butter.
- It’s 1 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 2 (70 oz.) of Liters of meat broth.
- It’s 12 slices of baguette bread.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Prepare of Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- You need 30 ml (1 oz) of brandy or cognac.
- Prepare 120 g (4 oz) of soft grated cheese (Gruyère type).
Attempts to make it with veggie or chicken stock have failed flavor-wise so was excited to see this episode today and rushed straight to the website. I still absolutely hate your not-so-new website. The old one was easy, accessible and user-friendly. Place onions and butter in saucepan.
French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup step by step
- In this Onion French Soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in any market. If another type of onion is used but the flavor will no longer be equally soft and sweet.
- Peel the sweet onions and cut them into julienne (lengthwise and thinly sliced). we put them in a bowl..
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. We add butter, which is the true basis of this French soup..
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, add the onions and finely chopped garlic.
- If we have not used sweet onions, add a spoonful of sugar. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir gently to mix well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup..
- Add the brandy and let 2 minutes evaporate to the alcohol..
- We introduce the broth that could be meat, vegetables or chicken. Bring all these ingredients to a boil for 15-20 minutes over a very low heat. Cut the bread into thin slices and toast them lightl.
- Onion French Soup, is a liquid soup but it can be transformed into creamy. It adds a little starch that gives a texture between soup and cream. A recipe worthy of both a first course and a main one in a simple and special dinner for cold nights.
Sauté on medium heat until onions are tender. Add beef broth, consomme, and Woschershire sauce. Directions: Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the caramelized onion and shallots and add the leeks and top with the stocks. Grate the cheese and put it in the refrigerator in a small bowl.