My beef stew. This beef stew is the ultimate, hearty, melt-in-your mouth comfort food of all, and so easy to make in the Instant Pot® for a simple midweek dinner. Remove the beef from the pot and add the vinegar and wine. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits.
Beef Stew Recipes Warm up with a bowl of a classic stew that never goes out of style. These terrific beef stew recipes are the perfect antidote for a hectic week or for entertaining guests. Beef stew meat breaks down and becomes more tender the longer you cook. You can cook My beef stew using 16 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of My beef stew
- It’s 3 lbs of stewing beef (or boneless beef chuck in 1 1/2 pcs.
- Prepare 3 tsp of salt, divided.
- Prepare 2 tsp of ground pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare of Approx 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (may need a bit more).
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- Prepare 3 of finely chopped sun dried tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, halved and sliced (I used Spanish onion).
- Prepare 1 1/2 lbs of yellow potatoes cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Prepare 1 pound of carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of red wine.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of beef broth.
- It’s 2 tbsp of worchester sauce.
- You need 1 can of tomato paste (6 ozs).
- It’s 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- It’s 1 of large bay leaf or two small.
Two hours is typically the sweet spot for beef stew unless you're cooking a slow-cooker stew. You can also follow our best tips for tenderizing meat. Add the beef in batches and cook until the chunks are well browned all over. Making beef stew is very simple!
My beef stew step by step
- Place beef in a large bowl and season with 2 tsp salt and the pepper. Add flour and toss to coat. Shake off the excess flour, putting the beef a in another bowl, reserving the excess flour as well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is heated, cook 1/3 of the beef and cook until brown on all sides, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a 6 quart slow cooker. Continue cooking beef in batches (three batches total) adding oil as needed, transferring to slow cooker when done..
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and reduce heat to medium heat. Add onion, chopped dried tomatoes and garlic to the pan. Cover with lid and cook on low medium heat about 8 minutes until soft. Add onion mix to the crock pot along with the potatoes and carrots. Add wine to the pan, increase the temperature to medium high heat, and bring the wine to just bubbling, scraping off any brown bits in the pan. Pour into the slow cooker..
- Whisk the tomato paste into the reserved flour. Whisk in the broth, worchester, thyme and remaining salt. Add the bay leaves, add this mixture to the slow cooker. Mix all ingredients well (I had to split the stew at this point between the slow cooker and the original flour bowl just to get it mixed properly). Add all back to slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 1/2 hours. Enjoy!!.
One of the joys of eating stew is its hearty sauce, which should have more body than regular soup broth. Add a little tapioca to absorb some of the liquid and you'll end up with a nice, thick broth. This is a variation of that recipe, enriched with a complex nexus of herbs and spices that give the dish a rich, multi-faceted flavor. A simple method to thicken beef stew is to cook several whole vegetables in the stew pot, such as potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. After they have cooked and contributed to the overall stew flavor, they can be removed and blended into a paste with stock or some of the cooking liquid.