Brown ale beef stew. Check Out our Selection & Order Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Brown ale makes a robust gravy for beef with dumplings.
Place the brisket cubes into a mixing bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with flour, and toss until evenly coated. Heat the canola oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over high heat. You can have Brown ale beef stew using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Brown ale beef stew
- Prepare 900 g of beef blade.
- It’s 1 of heap tbsp all-purpose flour.
- You need 3 of medium carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks.
- Prepare 3 of celery sticks, roughly chopped.
- Prepare 250 g of white or brown mushrooms, quartered.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
- You need 1 bottle of Newcastle brown ale.
- Prepare 6 of thyme sprigs.
- You need 6 cups of beef stock.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 4 of medium waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths.
Generously season all sides of the beef with salt and pepper and lightly dust with Wondra flour. Add the canola oil to a Dutch oven and place over high heat. When oil is almost to smoking point (or. Beef and Ale Stew is widely served to children here in the UK – indeed my son ate puréed Beef and Ale Stew as a baby.
Brown ale beef stew instructions
- Cut the beef into 2 cm chunks and trim any excess fat and silverskin. Do not throw away the trimmings. Season the beef with salt and pepper, then toss with the flour until coated..
- Add the trimmings to a large pot on medium-high heat. Let the fat render off, then discard the trimmings. Add the beef to the pot and sear for 3 to 5 minutes until evenly browned. Remove the beef to a plate..
- Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, and onion to the pot and let cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Pour in the ale and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Let simmer for 5 minutes..
- Return the beef and any juices to the pot. Add the thyme sprigs, stock, Worcestershire sauce, a good pinch of salt and several grinds of freshly cracked black pepper. Bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and cover. Let cook for 1 1/2 hours..
- Fish out the thyme sprigs and add the potatoes. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until the beef and potatoes are tender. Add extra salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a small sprinkle of fresh thyme..
I realise this may be controversial depending on where you live, so if the alcohol content of the dish concerns you, do keep it for adults only. Trim the celery, wash the carrots, peel the onions, then roughly chop it all about the same size as your beef chunks, adding the veg to the pan as you go. Beef stews are usually very forthcoming in nature. Chunks of beef and hearty vegetables served broth or in a thick gravy. This Belgian Beef Stew becomes rock star special with the addition of a bottle of Belgian Golden Ale and then finished with mustard and red wine vinegar.