Simple Creamy Butternut Squash Soup. Place the butternut squash onto a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Meanwhile, heat a dash of olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for five minutes over a gentle heat, or until.
Pour in vegetable stock, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Directions In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. In a blender, cover and process soup until smooth. You can cook Simple Creamy Butternut Squash Soup using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Simple Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- It’s 1 of small butternut squash (the smallest you can find is usually enough to make this recipe twice).
- You need 2 Tablespoons of butter plus 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- It’s 2 cups of chopped leeks (light green and white parts only – remember to wash your leeks well!).
- You need 1/2 of a medium onion, chopped into a 1/2-inch pieces.
- Prepare 1 of medium carrot, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- You need 1 of stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme (or 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon dried).
- You need 2 cups of baked butternut squash.
- Prepare 4 cups of unsalted chicken or vegetable stock.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- It’s of up to 1 teaspoon sugar if needed to lightly sweeten (some squashes are sweeter than others).
- You need 1 cup of heavy whipping cream (you can use whole, lowfat, or nonfat milk – it'll be a little less rich and creamy, but still yummy).
Return to the pan; stir in milk and heat through. Place squash in saucepan along with carrots, onions and broth, then add in the salt. Pour a little hot puree into the ⅓-½ cup cream so not to curdle the cream; add to soup. Serve in a wide mouth shallow bowl with a dollop of sour cream, if.
Simple Creamy Butternut Squash Soup step by step
- BAKING THE SQUASH: Preheat oven to 375F. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the pulp and seeds, place flesh side down on your sheet pan or baking sheet, and bake for 45 minutes or so until a fork or knife pierces all the way through the thickest part of the squash like a hot knife through butter..
- NOW FOR THE SOUP: Put the butter and oil in a 4 or 5 quart pot and turn the heat to slightly higher than medium. When the butter is completely melted, add the aromatics (all the veg other than squash) and saute until the onions are translucent and the leeks and onions just begin to brown in parts (about 5 minutes)..
- Add the thyme, butternut squash, stock, salt, pepper, and sugar and stir gently a few times to evenly distribute all the ingredients. Turn the heat up to medium high and bring soup to a gentle boil for 2 to 3 minutes..
- Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, with the lid on askew, for 25 minutes (or until a fork pierces the carrot pieces VERY easily – the carrots need to be this tender in order to get a really smooth, silky consistency to the final product), stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat down if necessary. (If you can scrape stuff off the bottom of the pot, your heat's too high.).
- Stir in the cream, adjust seasoning if needed, and simmer, uncovered, for another 5 minutes..
- Blend the soup until it's a smooth, velvety consistency. If you have a stick blender, that's the easiest way to go, but if you're using a regular blender, blend 3 cups at a time, starting at a very low setting for the first 5 seconds to avoid splatter and then turn up to the puree setting for 20 seconds or so..
How to Make Creamy Butternut Squash Soup. This butternut squash is creamy and delicious and so easy to make. It's perfect for those cold weather days and filling for the hungriest of bellies. This soup recipe is paleo and AIP friendly and packed full of all kinds of yummy goodness. Butternut squash is a staple in any grain free diet because it's loaded with carbs.