Beef Stew. Beef stew is the ultimate comfort food. With switched-up ingredients and creative twists, these variations elevate the classic from familiar to fabulous. Beef stew meat breaks down and becomes more tender the longer you cook.
Heat a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper, and add to the pan. Add the beef, beef broth and bay leaves. You can have Beef Stew using 21 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Beef Stew
- You need 3 of Lbs. Beef.
- Prepare 2 of Large Carrots.
- It’s 3 of Potatoes.
- You need 3 Stalks of Celery.
- It’s 2 of Onions.
- You need 5 Cloves of Garlic.
- Prepare 1 Can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 Can of Tomato Paste.
- Prepare 1/4 Cup of Red Wine.
- It’s of Worcestershire Sauce.
- It’s 1.5 Quarts of Beef Broth.
- Prepare 1/4 Cup of Flour.
- It’s of Adobo.
- It’s of Seasoned Salt.
- You need of Garlic Powder.
- Prepare of Onion Powder.
- It’s of Black Pepper.
- You need 1 of Green Onion.
- You need 3-4 of Bay Leaves.
- You need of Oregano.
- You need of Canola Oil.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. Add beef back to dutch oven then add broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture.
Beef Stew instructions
- Take any mass quantities of fat off of the beef..
- Cube the beef. Make them relatively large chunks as this is going to be a hearty stew. Season well. Add in the flour and mix throughly. Add to an oiled hot pan..
- Brown meat on all sides. Reserve..
- Give the celery and onion a rough chop. Smash and peel the garlic. (You can do this while the meat is browning) Add to the pan once the meat is done browning. Be sure you have a little oil in the pan. Season veggies and stir. Add in tomato paste. Stir constantly. Don’t let anything burn. Add in red wine and a few good shakes of Worcestershire sauce. Cook off the alcohol..
- Once those ingredients are incorporated, add in tomatoes with liquid from can and a pinch of dry oregano. Stir. Return beef with all of its juices into the pot. Add bay leaves..
- Okay, you can relax now. Add in the beef broth. Cover. Stir occasionally on low heat for about 2 hours..
- When it’s getting close to two hours, peel and chop your veggies. I suggest quartering the potatoes and cutting into large chunks. Halving the carrots and also chopping large. Add to pot, stir and continue simmering until tender. Stew will thicken along the way. Continue to stir periodically..
- Top with green onion and serve. Soup and sandwiches always go together, so there’s a suggestion..
Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. A cozy, classic beef stew with tender beef, carrots, mushrooms + potatoes. Everyone will love this, especially on those chilly nights!