Croque Monsieur. Slowly pour the hot milk into the. Press ham and cheese sides of sandwiches together. Good croque-monsieurs have a few things in common: a single layer of French ham and Gruyere pressed between two thin slices of bread.
Meaning "mister crunch" in French, this grilled cheese-like sandwich is both topped and filled with cheese. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Assemble the sandwiches by placing four slices of bread, buttered side down, into the skillet. You can have Croque Monsieur using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Croque Monsieur
- It’s of See recipe & ingredients for white sauce.
- It’s Dash of nutmeg.
- You need 1/4 tsp of dijon mustard.
- Prepare of Sandwich.
- Prepare of White sliced bread.
- It’s of Good quality sliced ham.
- You need of Gruyere cheese.
- It’s of Freshly grated parmesan.
Spread bread slices with béchamel, dividing evenly and extending all the way to the edges. To make the béchamel: melt butter in a saucepan; sprinkle in flour, whisking constantly. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Croque Monsieur is a delicious French ham and cheese sandwich made with gruyere, parmesan, ham and a simple béchamel sauce, toasted in the oven.
Croque Monsieur step by step
- See my recipe for white sauce. Add nutmeg and dijon mustard..
- Set bechamel sauce aside whilst making sandwich..
- Preheat oven to 220°C and line a baking tray..
- Spread each bread slice with a layer of béchamel, spreading it all the way to the edges. Place 4 slices of bread, béchamel. side up, on prepared baking sheet..
- Top each with a piece of ham, a handful of gruyere, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Place remaining slices of bread on top, béchamel side up, then top with remaining gruyere and parmesan cheese..
- Bake at for about 5-6 minutes, until cheese is melted, and then turn the oven to grill and grill until the cheese on top is lightly golden, 2-4 minutes..
Serve with a green salad and a small cup of French Onion Soup and you have the perfect Parisian meal! A Croque is the ultimate fast food, classic Street Food, and all-round convenience food made quickly and easily into a nourishing and totally delicious meal. Croque monsieur literally means "mister crunch," and it's also a classic French bar snack, a sandwich consisting of gruyère cheese, ham, and buttered bread. The bread is either toasted until the cheese melts or fried in butter, like a grilled cheese. In France, the croque monsieur is traditionally served as a bar snack, but this recipe scales up easily and is a great brunch for a crowd.