Stir-fried Korean Rice Cake. Literally translated as "stir-fried rice cake", this dish is made with garaetteok, a cylinder-shaped white rice cake. This spicy rice cake dish is enormously popular as a street food and also often enjoyed at home. Unlike gungjung tteokbokki, which has been around for hundreds of years, the red spicy tteokbokki has a relatively short.
Rinse the rice cakes and drain well. Put a medium-sized pan onto medium-high heat. Add about a tablespoon of water at a time, as needed, to ensure the rice cakes don't burn to the bottom of the pan. You can cook Stir-fried Korean Rice Cake using 17 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Stir-fried Korean Rice Cake
- It’s of sliced kimchi.
- You need of minced pork.
- You need of frozen vegetable mix.
- You need of Korean sliced rice cake.
- Prepare of vegatable oil.
- It’s of cooking sherry.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of aromatics.
- Prepare of diced celery.
- It’s of green onion.
- You need of Sichuan pepper (Huajiao).
- Prepare of Pork seasoning.
- Prepare of oregano.
- You need of ketchup.
- Prepare of soy sauce.
- It’s of black pepper.
- It’s of sesame oil.
Drain the rice cake and put them in mixing bowl. In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, corn syrup, sugar chili flakes, rice wine, and pepper. You can make the dish with store-bought or homemade rice cakes. One of my favorite Korean dishes is tteokbokki, a street food snack made of cylindrical rice cakes that are cooked in a spicy, flavorful sauce.
Stir-fried Korean Rice Cake step by step
- Note: Sichuan pepper is a rather special ingredient used mainly in Chinese cuisine. Therefore, it may not be readily available for most people. In the case that it's not available, you may omit it. It is mainly used to enhance the flavor of the dish as an aromatic..
- In a bowl, add in all the pork seasonings to the minced pork. Knead the pork with seasonings with your hands to integrate everything into the pork evenly. Set aside and let it rest for about 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dish..
- Place the Korean rice cake into a medium sauce pan..
- Add about 5 cups of water (or enough water to submerge the rice cake with 1 in of water)..
- Bring the water to a boil under High heat. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes after it reached a boil. (Be sure to stir frequently as the rice cakes are very prude to sticking to the pan.).
- Drain the water and set the rice cake aside..
- Dice the aromatics into small pieces. (about 1/4" by 1/4").
- Heat up a non-stick skillet under High heat..
- Add in the oil in once the pan is hot..
- Fry the Sichuan pepper until the sizzling stops. Then discard the pepper. (The point is to extract the aroma and flavor from the peppercorns.).
- Fry the pork until it is brown all over. Place the pork on the middle of the skillet. Using a spatula, separate the pork into bite-size pieces. Let the meat fry in the oil for about 20 seconds on each side before moving the meat around..
- Once the pork is browned, move them back to the bowl but leave the oil in the skillet..
- Fry the aromatics in the skillet. Add a few pinches of salt to the aromatics to draw out some moisture..
- When the aromatics are soft, add the kimchi. Fry for about 10 seconds until most of the moisture is cooked out..
- Add the pork and frozen vegeable back to the skillet. Keep stirring while the moisture is being cooked out..
- When the skillet is dried, add the sherry in. Keep stirring..
- When half of the sherry is cooked out, add in the rice cake. Fold the mixture into the rice cake quickly. (Or the rice cake will stick!).
- Taste and add more salt if needed. When all the liquid is dried out, remove the skillet from the heat and move everything to a dish/large bowl and serve..
To make tteokbokki, you simmer rice cakes (tteok) in a stock often. Taste a rice cake to be sure it's fully softened. Remove the cover, and add the sesame oil, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, white pepper, and sugar. Taste, and season with additional salt if necessary. Slanguage Freak says: I wish she would include tips for making the recipes vegetarian.