Beef and Barley Soup. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides; drain. Stir in broth, water, barley, salt and pepper.
Give your beef time to get golden on all sides, a step that gives the beef and soup more flavor. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Saute carrots, celery, onion, and frozen mixed vegetables until tender. You can cook Beef and Barley Soup using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Beef and Barley Soup
- It’s 1 lb of beef (any steak will do).
- You need 1 c of uncooked barley.
- Prepare 5 of medium potatoes.
- Prepare 3-4 of carrots.
- It’s 1 of medium onion.
- You need 2 tbsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 7-8 cups of beef broth ( can be replaced with bullion and water).
- It’s 1 tsp of parsley.
- You need 1 tsp of celery seed.
- You need 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- You need to taste of salt.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter (optional).
Beef barley soup should taste deeply beefy, and should be loaded with chunks of tender, flavorful meat, plump grains of barley, and aromatic vegetables. The secret to those results is to make it much like a beef stew, choosing the right cut of beef, handling it the right way, and adding more complex layers of flavor. Stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder and place seasoned meat in a slow cooker. Add a little water to the skillet and stir to pick up the browned bits.
Beef and Barley Soup step by step
- Prepare steak by cutting into 1/2 inch pieces..
- Prepare vegetables by cutting into 1/2 inch pieces..
- Add all ingredients together in a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to just below medium heat. Allow soup to simmer for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender..
- Optional cooking method: combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Meat will be more tender using this method..
Beef Barley Soup This Beef Barley Soup is really one of the best, heartiest meals for fall, winter or just a chilly summer day. It's thick and rich and loaded with flavor, thanks to those browned chunks of beef and tender vegetables. If making a ground beef barley soup, you'll want to brown the beef with the onions and drain any fat. One of the main components this recipe is barley. Barley is a grain that is very similar in size and texture of brown rice.