Vidalia French Onion Soup. Great range of limited-time deals, picks from top brands, curated sales and more! Usually French onion soup requires that you slowly cook onions for a long time to caramelize them and develop their sweetness. If you use Vidalia onions instead of regular onions though, you can speed up the cooking process by quite a bit.
On medium heat, once butter is melted, make sure all onion slices are coated and continue to stir to keep onions from browning. You want the onions to be translucent but not brown or crunchy. Immediately add beef broth to onions and butter and bring just to a boil. You can have Vidalia French Onion Soup using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vidalia French Onion Soup
- It’s of Vidalia onion — sliced paper thin.
- You need of butter.
- It’s of Beef stock- *(note be careful some store brands are very high in salt and as you cook it down it may get salty).
- You need of dry sherry wine (*optional see note at bottom).
- You need of thyme.
- You need of sugar.
- Prepare of toasted French bread slices or any bread you like:).
- Prepare of Swiss cheese.
- You need of Salt and pepper — to taste at the end of the cooking process.
Add onion slices, and stir in salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions in butter until lightly browned. French Onion Soup made with Vidalia Onions Probably the best French Onion Soup you will ever try, this rich soup is made delicious with sweet Vidalia onions. Sherry wine and fresh bay leaves give this soup an incredibly delicious depth of flavor.
Vidalia French Onion Soup instructions
- For french bread, slice 4 pieces a 1/2 inch thick brush with olive oil and place on a sheet pan in a 350 degree oven until golden brown and delicious..
- In a 3 qt sauce pot/pan,Saute the onions in the butter over low to moderate heat. Carefully caramelize the onions thoroughly without burning..
- Deglaze the pan with 6 ounces (250 milliliters) of the beef stock. Cook until all the stock has gone and the browning continues..
- Repeat this process until the onions are a very dark, evenly brown.about three times. (* optional sherry wine add now).
- Add the remaining beef stock and thyme and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes to develop flavor. Adjust the seasonings..
- Serve in oven proof bowls. Fill the bowl 85% of the way. Top each portion with a slice of toasted French bread and a slice of Swiss cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and lightly browned..
- We are a high school so Sherry Wine is frowned upon:( This recipe comes out great without sherry. That being said adding 4 ounces of dry sherry just before you add the remaining stock does add some extra flavor.
Topped with a fresh crouton, and a blend of delicious, melted cheese, this soup is amazing. Vidalia Onions cooked on the grill, sealed in foil! Just like French onion soup, without the bother! Great anytime, and very easy to make. Serve with warm, crusty, bread and a sturdy red wine!