Pressure Cooker Chinese Beef Rib and Tendon Stew. While the tendon is cooking, prepare the other ingredients. Lay the short ribs out on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. So if you can't find it, simply omit it.
Place beef tendon in a pressure cooker and add water to cover beef completely. Place on high heat until rated pressure has been reached. Add daikon and bring to a boil again. You can have Pressure Cooker Chinese Beef Rib and Tendon Stew using 22 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pressure Cooker Chinese Beef Rib and Tendon Stew
- Prepare 2-3 lbs of beef short ribs.
- It’s 1 lb of beef tendon.
- You need 1 Tbsp of oil.
- You need 3 of shallots, sliced.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 5 of spring onions.
- You need 4 inch of ginger, peeled & sliced.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of shaoxing wine.
- Prepare 2 cups of chicken stock.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of chu hou paste.
- You need 1 Tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of dark soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 tsp of oyster sauce.
- You need 2 tsp of sugar.
- It’s 3 of whole star anise.
- You need 5 inches of orange peel.
- Prepare 1.5 lbs of daikon, peeled and cubed.
- You need 3 of parsnips, peeled and cubed.
- You need 5 oz of shitake, sliced.
- Prepare 1 can of baby corn.
- You need 4 Tbsp of water.
- Prepare 4 Tbsp of corn starch.
Blanch the beef brisket The most suitable cuts for this Chinese beef stew is the beef brisket and tendon. Both are tough but very flavorful, which is ideal for stewing. Other cuts like chuck and rump can be used, but brisket has layers of fats in between the lean meat which works best for slow cooking. Fill your wok with cold water, and add the beef.
Pressure Cooker Chinese Beef Rib and Tendon Stew step by step
- Place the beef tendon in the pressure cooker and add 1 cup water. Pressure cook on high pressure for 1 hour and 15 min and natural pressure release..
- While the tendon is cooking, prepare the other ingredients..
- Lay the short ribs out on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper..
- Separate the green from the white parts of the spring onion. Add the white parts to a small bowl and then prep the garlic, shallot and ginger into the bowl..
- Peel and cube the daikon and parsnips, and rough slice the shitake and add to a large bowl..
- In a small dish add the chu hou paste, soy sauces, oyster sauce, sugar, star anise and orange peel..
- When the tendon is done cooking, pour the cooking liquid out, and rinse the tendon under cool water. Cut the tendon into bite size pieces..
- Preheat the oven broiler to high. Broil the short ribs for 5 minutes until they are seared and browning..
- In the cleaned out pressure cooker heat the oil with the saute function. Add the onions, shallot, garlic and ginger. Cook until they begin to brown and stick to the bottom of the pan and then add the shaoxing wine..
- After the shaoxing has deglaze the bottom of the pan, add the stock and the chu hou mixture. Stir to distribute..
- Layer in the short ribs and cubed tendon. Add the daikon, parsnip and mushroom on top..
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 10 min.
- Quick release the pressure. Drian the baby corn and add it to a bowl..
- Remove the daikon and parsnips and place on top of the baby corn. Leave this aside to stay warm..
- Replace the lid on the pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for another 20 min.
- Let the pressure naturally release. Remove the lid and pick out the rib bones..
- Combine the starch and water into a slurry. Bring the stew to a simmer and add the slurry while stirring a little at a time until it thickens to your level of choosing..
- Add the reserved vegetables and mix. Dice the green stems of the onions for garnish..
Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef to a colander, and rinse. Chop the beef tendon into bite size pieces and transfer to a big pot along with the ox tail. Pour in some water and bring to a boil to draw out the dirty impurities. Drain and set aside for later use. Pressure cooked in savory Japanese seasonings, this Japanese Beef Tendon Stew (Gyusuji Nikomi) is flavorful and super tender and melts in your mouth.