Chicken and Sausage Stew. Pour reserved chicken broth into the Dutch oven. Add the chicken, sausage, bacon, garlic, parsley and oregano. Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot.
Briefly cook onion, garlic until softened. Add fresh rosemary and seasonings until fragrant. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper to the pot and heat, stirring often, until tender. You can cook Chicken and Sausage Stew using 23 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken and Sausage Stew
- It’s 2 lb of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Prepare 1 1/4 lb of Italian sausage links, hot or sweet or a combination.
- It’s 20 of slices of pepperoni.
- You need 1 tbsp of butter, salted or unsalted.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, chopped.
- It’s 3 of garlic cloves, minced.
- You need 1 of red bell pepper, cut into strips.
- It’s 2 of poblano peppers, cut into strips.
- It’s 8 oz of button mushrooms.
- You need 1 of celery stalk, sliced.
- It’s 1 of large or 3 small carrots, sliced.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of dry white wine.
- It’s 28 oz of can of whole italian tomatos with juices.
- You need 1 of 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juices.
- You need 2 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
- Prepare of salt and pepper throughout recipe to taste.
- It’s 1 tsp of Italian seasoning.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 tsp of hot sauce, such as Frank's brand.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water.
- You need 1/4 cup of fresh grated romano cheese.
- You need 1/4 cup of fresh chopped basil.
Add tomato paste, tomatoes, chicken stock, and seasonings to pot. Return chicken to pot and add sausage. For the Stew: Preheat the oven broiler on high. Season the chicken thighs evenly with salt and pepper.
Chicken and Sausage Stew instructions
- In a large skillet on medium low heat saute pepperoni until crisp, remove from pan and reserve for garnish.
- Pat chicken thighs dry and season with salt and pepper. Add butter to skillet and melt and add chicken thighs and cook just until golden, only 1 to 2 minutes per side, it will cook more later. Remove to plate.
- Add sausage to skillet and brown, about 5 minutes they will also cook more in the stew. Remove sausage to a plate.
- Add all vegetables to skillet, cover abd cook on medium low until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add white wine to skillet and increase heat and cook until wine is almost gone.
- Transfer vegetables and any liquid in skillet to stockpot or dutch oven, add sausage, cut into 1 inch slices, chicken thighs, all tomatos, broth, cream, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, uncovered on low, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Then remove chicken thighs too a bowl. Increase heat to a simmer and slowly, while stirring drizzle in the cornstarch mixture and cook until stew thickens some. About 4 minutes. Add romano cheese, and basil and return chicken, broken into bite size chunks. Then serve.
- Serve hot garnished with reserved pepperoni and additional grated romano cheese. Serve over pasta, rice or potatos or in a bowl with crusty bread for dipping.
Add the thighs to the pan in an even layer. The chosen dish, a Sausage and Chicken Cassoulet, is a spin off of the French Cassoulet, a rich slow cooked casserole stew that is usually made with different parts of pork and duck confit. Stir in marinara sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken on top of stew with the skin exposed.