Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup. Try our no prep no mess Oven Ready meals with everything included – even the cooking tray! Whisk in vegetable stock, incorporating with the flour mixture. Add half-and-half, salt, and pepper (to taste), and white pepper.
Stir in cheese and reduce heat to low. Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup instructions Dice the onion, mince the garlic, and chop up the rest of the vegetables. Carrots and celery should be chopped into smaller chunks, while broccoli and cauliflower can be in medium to large chunks. You can have Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
- Prepare 5 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 of medium onion.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 4 cups of broccoli.
- Prepare 1 cup of cauliflower.
- You need 2 stalks of celery.
- It’s 1 of large carrot.
- It’s 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth.
- You need 2 cups of half and half.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Prepare a pot to steam the broccoli, cauliflower, celery, and carrot. Combine the water and chicken base. Add to the pot along with the broccoli and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup step by step
- Dice the onion, mince the garlic, and chop up the rest of the vegetables. Carrots and celery should be chopped into smaller chunks, while broccoli and cauliflower can be in medium to large chunks..
- Prepare a pot to steam the broccoli, cauliflower, celery, and carrot. Fill the pot with 1-2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Then place vegetables in steamer for about 7 minutes until soft..
- Melt butter in a pot at medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until tender (5-7 minutes)..
- Turn down heat slightly (to medium-low) and gradually whisk flour into the pot with the onion and garlic. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the mixture becomes slightly golden..
- Gradually add half and half and chicken broth, stirring all the while. Add some salt and pepper to taste at this point. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered until it thickens (about 20 minutes)..
- Add the steamed vegetables and cook (still at medium-low heat) for another 10-15 minutes..
- If you want to purée the soup, let it COOL DOWN to near room temp, then put in a blender on purée mode. You may have to work in batches. If soup is still steaming a little, REMOVE the middle piece in the top of the blender cover so the steam can escape. Have a clean dish towel or paper towel to hover over the opening to minimize any mess. Combine puréed batches back into pot and warm it back up to then continue with step 8..
- Add cheese to the soup (handful at a time) and stir until melted..
Add the remaining roasted broccoli and cauliflower to the saucepan, stir and season with salt and pepper. Use an immersion blender or carefully ladle soup into a blender and puree until smooth. The Directions Melt the butter in a large pot. Brown the onions with the carrots and seasoning, then stir in the flour. Once the flour disappears, stir in the broth, milk, broccoli, and cauliflower.