Short ribs. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Award-winning Meat As Chosen By Michelin-Star Chefs, Delivered To Your Door. Beef short ribs are slowly braised with Bloody Mary mix and red wine in this savory dish. I would normally use some garlic in this, but this recipe was developed for a good friend who is allergic to garlic.
The sauce's chiles and tomatoes tenderize and flavor the meat, while red wine and mushrooms round out the. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove from the skillet and set aside. You can have Short ribs using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Short ribs
- It’s 6 of # beef short ribs (I use 4# short and 2# back).
- It’s 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp pepper.
- It’s 4-6 of dried chilies.
- Prepare 1 of " knob fresh ginger root, smashed.
- Prepare of Beer hop:.
- It’s 1 of fresh serrano chile, cut off stem.
- Prepare 1/2 of medium sweet onion, cut in small chunks.
- It’s 4 of " fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/4 C of molasses.
- Prepare 1/4 C of brown sugar.
- It’s 1 bottle of dark beer (I use Guiness).
- It’s 2-3 Tbsp of fresh chopped cilantro.
- You need of Zest and juice of 1 lime (2 tsp zest, 2 tsp juice).
- You need 2 Tbsp of butter.
- You need 2 Tbsp of maple syrup.
Short ribs get a lot of their flavor from their fat; as the meat cooks, the fat melts away and infuses the sauce, making it rich, smooth, and absolutely delicious. From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books). In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until completely crispy and all the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon and set aside.
Short ribs step by step
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Rub the ribs on both sides with S&P and thyme..
- In a large roasting pot, add 1/2C water, the chilies and sliced ginger. Put the seasoned ribs in the pot and cover tightly. Bake in oven for 2 1/2 – 3 hours..
- For the hop: In a food processor, combine the serrano chile, onion, smashed ginger and salt until smooth. Melt the butter in a large saute pan and add the onion mixture. Cook until caramelized. Now add the beer, molasses, brown sugar and maple syrup. Cook on simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Add the cilantro, lime zest and juice..
- Raise the oven temperature to 450°. Brush the 'hop sauce' all over the ribs every 2 minutes until you have used it all; about 10 minutes. There should be a nice dark glaze on them..
- Serve with egg noodle pasta or rice. I also added sautéed mushrooms, red pepper strips and asparagus..
Add the olive oil to the pan. Beef short ribs are just the thing to let braise in the oven or cook slowly in your Dutch oven. The meal is a comforting one, ideal for a cool fall or winter day. Try a steak grill seasoning on these ribs, but feel free to use your favorite seasoned salt blend. The beef and cabbage make a hearty, low-carb dinner.