Solterito | Corn Salad. Great Range for Kitchen & Home Online. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Garden At Home With Sarah Raven, Wide Range of Products Available Online Solterito is a diminutive of soltero, as in "little single man." There are no records of the history of Solterito, so our own interpretation (which we by no means know to be true, but is possible), is that the dish has that name because it's so easy and simple that it's the perfect meal for a single man.
Traditionally, Solterito contains fava or lima beans, fresh cheese, chili pepper, tomatoes and large kernel corn native to the Andes. Clearly I have taken MANY liberties with this salad based on what I have readily available to me. Solterito is one of the specialty dishes of Arequipa, a beautiful city surrounded by dramatic volcanos in southern Peru. You can cook Solterito | Corn Salad using 13 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Solterito | Corn Salad
- It’s 1 cup of "choclo" (yellow or white corn), threshed.
- You need 1 cup of broad beans.
- You need 1 cup of lima beans.
- Prepare 1 cup of tomatoes, diced.
- You need 1/2 cup of red onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 pound of "queso fresco" (white cheese), diced.
- It’s 1/2 cup of black or green olives, sliced crosswise.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of parsley, chopped.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of "aji limo" (lime chilli), minced w/o seeds or veins.
- It’s 5 teaspoons of olive oil.
- You need 3 teaspoons of red vinegar.
- It’s 5 of lettuce leaves.
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
Solterito is a vegetable salad, traditionally prepared with the lima beans and large kernel choclo corn that grow so well in Peru. Solterito is a traditional Peruvian salad originating from Arequipa. Although there are as many versions of solterito as there are cooks, this refreshing salad is usually made with a combination of lima beans, onions, tomatoes, corn, diced queso fresco, rocoto pepper, red or white wine vinegar, olive oil, olives, parsley, salt, and pepper. Solterito is a Peruvian salad that is perfect for eating al fresco during the summer months.
Solterito | Corn Salad instructions
- Place the corn kernels, broad beans, and lima beans in a pot with salted water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat for about 10mins. or until beans are just tender. Drain them and let them rest..
- Gently mix all the ingredients in a bowl (corn kernels, broad beans, lima beans, tomatoes, red onion, white cheese, black olives, parsley lime chilli, olive oil, red vinegar, salt and pepper)..
- Serve each dish over a lettuce, and decorate with some parsley on top..
The basic recipe is cheap, quick, and easy to make. Many chefs typically use whatever ingredients they have at hand to make this dish, so there are as many versions of it. However, this salad is usually made with potatoes, fava beans, Andean corn, rocoto -a very hot chili pepper from the Andes. The solterito is a cold dish, typically found in Arequipa, a city in southern Peru. It serves as an appetizer and they say that the guests who came single commonly ate this snack to prevent gaining weight and appearing unattractive.