Beef and Barley soup. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides; drain. Stir in broth, water, barley, salt and pepper.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a paper towel-lined plate. The silky soup is filling and full of rich savory flavor. Give your beef time to get golden on all sides, a step that gives the beef and soup more flavor. You can cook Beef and Barley soup using 13 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Beef and Barley soup
- It’s 2-3 cups of barley I like it thick with barley.
- Prepare 48 oz of beef broth.
- It’s 4 of Beef short ribs cut and chop some meat off bone.
- Prepare 2 stalks of celery chopped.
- You need 1 of onion finely chopped.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of small dried hot peppers or pepper flakes to taste.
- Prepare Package of sliced mushrooms.
- It’s 4 cups of Water to top off pot.
- It’s 4 of carrots chopped.
- You need 1 of parsnip chopped.
- It’s of Oregano optional, we grow our own and use it frequently.
- You need of Black pepper to taste.
Beef barley soup should taste deeply beefy, and should be loaded with chunks of tender, flavorful meat, plump grains of barley, and aromatic vegetables. The secret to those results is to make it much like a beef stew, choosing the right cut of beef, handling it the right way, and adding more complex layers of flavor. Beef Barley Soup This Beef Barley Soup is really one of the best, heartiest meals for fall, winter or just a chilly summer day. It's thick and rich and loaded with flavor, thanks to those browned chunks of beef and tender vegetables.
Beef and Barley soup instructions
- Add all ingredients except carrots and parsnip to hot pot (pressure cooker). Cook for 30 minutes or as per manufactures suggested setting..
- After time and pot has cooled enough to open add carrots and parsnips for additional 15 minutes. I like my root veggies a little firm, if you prefer you can skip this and add the root veggies to the initial step..
If making a ground beef barley soup, you'll want to brown the beef with the onions and drain any fat. One of the main components this recipe is barley. Barley is a grain that is very similar in size and texture of brown rice. There are several different types of barley but the most common is pearl barley which is used in this recipe. Place beef bones in a large size slow cooker.