Buttermilk Corn Muffins. Home-grown and organic food, drink and recipes, plus household essentials. Farmdrop: The Online Grocer Providing Fresh, Local Food, Delivered To Your Door. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk and cornmeal; set aside. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Add in the baking soda and then slowly pour in the buttermilk while you stir. You can have Buttermilk Corn Muffins using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Buttermilk Corn Muffins
- Prepare 1 of large egg.
- You need 1 of + 1/8 cups buttermilk plus a little more for brushing at the end.
- It’s 1/3 cup of sugar.
- You need 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 3 Tablespoons of sour cream.
- Prepare 1 of + 1/4 cups all purpose flour.
- You need 3/4 cup of corn meal (fine or medium ground).
- Prepare 4 teaspoons of baking powder.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Add in the cornmeal, flour, and salt and stir until well combined. Pour batter into the prepared muffin tin. Combine eggs, buttermilk, honey, and oil; add slowly to the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, removing any clumps.
Buttermilk Corn Muffins instructions
- Preheat the oven to 400F..
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, sugar, vegetable oil, and sour cream until they're thoroughly incorporated..
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt into the wet mixture and stir until all the ingredients are just thoroughly combined and no more. (It's very important to resist the urge to stir the batter to a smooth consistency. When you do that, you can overwork the gluten in the flour, which results in a more dense and chewy texture to the muffin, which is not what we want here.) Let the batter sit for 10 to 30 minutes..
- Pour the batter into 10 to 12 even portions into a buttered or lined muffin tin (I use silicone molds), and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, depending on the size (more time for fewer muffins, less time for more)..
- If you'd like a little extra browning like you see in the photo, before the last 4 minutes of baking, brush the top of each muffin with a little buttermilk. (Or you can just take a stick of butter and run it once over the tops. The heat does the melting, and I save a dirty dish. 😉 ).
Combine melted butter with buttermilk, milk and egg. Sift dry ingredients and add to milk mixture. Line muffin pan with liners or grease well with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add egg, buttermilk, and vegetable oil.