Oxtail Ragu. Save time and buy groceries online from Amazon.co.uk The best place for your Italian favourites. Shipped at fixed rates around the world! Find and order your favourite Italian food!
The only way to screw up this incredibly succulent cut of beef is to not cook it long enough. Add wine, tomatoes, vinegar, and honey, stirring and. Oxtail (which by the way is actually the tail of either gender of cattle) is an ideal meat for braising: its flavor emerges triumphantly with a long, slow cook, with each piece's hunk of marrow only helping things along. You can cook Oxtail Ragu using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Oxtail Ragu
- You need 6 of large oxtail (also works well with short ribs).
- Prepare 2 lbs of pork rib tips (use any pork, I like bone in for flavor).
- Prepare 4 cups of water or stock.
- Prepare 1 of carrot diced.
- It’s 1 of medium yellow onion diced.
- Prepare 4 stalks of celery diced.
- You need 3 tbsp of chopped garlic.
- It’s 1 cup of white wine (dry white works great).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of crushed red pepper.
- Prepare 1 of small can tomato paste.
- Prepare 4 oz of fresh basil (or 1 oz dry).
- It’s 2 tbsp of sugar (optional).
Salt and pepper the oxtails and dredge oxtails in flour. Sear until well-browned on all sides. Get out a heavy enameled cast-iron pan and warm it over high heat. Pat the oxtail dry and season liberally with salt and pepper.
Oxtail Ragu instructions
- In your instapot/pressure cooker add your pork, oxtail and water. Pressure cook for 45 mins.
- After your oxtail and pork is cooked remove the bones, save the liquid..
- In a pot on medium heat, add a little oil or butter whichever you prefer and start sauteing your carrots, celery and onions until softened..
- Add your garlic and cook for another 2 mins..
- Add your white wine and reduce until almost evaporated..
- Add your tomato paste and cook for 2 mins (this is called blooming).
- Add your reserved liquid from the pressure cooker and simmer for 45 mins until thickened..
- Add your meat, basil, sugar and salt and pepper and cook for another 10 mins..
- Serve over pasta of your choice!.
Add the olive oil to the pan and add the oxtail one at a time in a single layer, working in batches if necessary. Oxtail ragu is exactly what I want to be eating once winter takes full swing. It's warm and hearty, but also feels like a special treat. To be fair, with the ever-increasing cost of oxtail, it is a special treat, but it's okay to take some liberties (and save a few dollars). Quickly dredge the oxtail in the flour and sear on all sides until browned, turning with long handled tongs.