40% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread. This weekend the overnight whole wheat bread took hold of my kitchen. Like the last entry for the overnight white, this was a variation on the theme of overnight fermentation. This gives you a great balance of textures and tons of hearty whole wheat flavor.
The long and slow fermentation overnight really contributes to softness of the crumb, so make sure to plan ahead a bit. NOTE: It may be tempting to use all whole wheat flour in this recipe, but, in our testing, that method resulted in dense, tough, squat breads that barely rose when we tried to proof them. Using some all-purpose flour was necessary to give us the rise and soft, pillowy texture we wanted in a good sandwich bread. You can cook 40% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread using 8 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of 40% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
- It’s of bread flour.
- Prepare of whole wheat flour.
- Prepare of (0.4 oz, 4 tsp) cane sugar.
- You need of salt.
- You need of (1 and 1/3 tsp) instant dry yeast.
- You need of (1.6 oz, 3 Tbsp) milk.
- Prepare of (4.9 oz, 3/5 us cup) water.
- It’s of (0.4 oz, 1 Tbsp) unsalted butter.
I used the conventional method (instead of the steaming oven) and the loaf rose beautifully. The bread was hearty with excellent texture with a hint of sweetness. It slices well and is good both as is and toasted. A loaf of whole wheat bread is a wonderful thing.
40% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread step by step
- ★Recipe video★ (my You Tube channel)→https://youtu.be/Avcswv_OwAw.
- Press the butter to soften a little; set aside. Warm the water-milk mixture with a microwave until reaches 35-40℃ / 95-104 °F. (If the room temperature is high, around 20°C / 68°F.).
- Put bread flour, whole wheat flour, cane sugar, and instant dry yeast in a large bowl. Pour 80％ of the water-milk mixture into the bowl like drawing circles. Mix roughly..
- Pour the remaining water mixture against powdery places. Mix roughly until it becomes a single mass. Put onto a work surface..
- Knead for a min, flatten it and put salt on. Knead it for 2-3 mins while stretching and pressing until combined..
- Hit the dough against the work surface and fold, repeat 30 times. Roll it alternate left and right (1 set), repeat 30 sets. Repeat 30-hitting and 30-rolling alternately for 7-8 mins..
- Flatten and spread it, put unsalted butter on. Knead well with your hands until combined for around 2-3 mins while pressing and stretching..
- Repeat hitting and rolling for 7-8 mins in the same way as before. Please make the dough smooth and elastic. Make it the ball shape..
- Place it in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let it rise in a warm place (about 35℃ / 95°F) until doubled in size, 40-50 mins..
- Finger Dent Test! Press your floured finger into the dough. If the dent springs back a little, and it stays without filling in, it’s ready..
- Punch the air out. Divide it into 2 equal pieces..
- Using your hand to flatten one piece into a rough rectangle. Start to roll from one of the shorter ends and roll it up into a cylinder. Rotate it 90 degrees and roll it up with the seam side facing up. Repeat with another piece..
- Cover with a damp towel and let it rest for 10-15 mins. (After 10-15 mins, it's will rise a little.).
- Punch the air out. Use a rolling pin to roll out one piece into about 15 x 25 cm (5.9 × 9.8 inches) oval or rectangular..
- Fold it towards the center from left and right to overlap about 1 cm (0.4-inch). Start to roll from one of the shorter ends and roll it up. Pinch the edges to seal well. Repeat with another piece..
- Place each dough at both ends of a lightly oiled pan with the seam side facing down. Let it rise in a warm place (about 40℃ / 104°F) until the top of the dough reach the height of the loaf pan, about 30-40 mins. Preheat the oven to 220℃ / 428°F..
- I used my oven to rise the dough until the top of the dough reach the height of the loaf pan. The dough needs to rise a little more, but the oven cannot be used for rising because the oven needs preheating. So I put the pan on the container with warm water to rise until the top of the dough is higher 1 cm (0.4'') than the height of the pan. Lightly cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying..
- Spray water lightly (about 3 times). Bake it at 200℃ / 392 °F for 30 mins until golden brown..
- Drop the pan to prevent shrinkage. Remove the bread from the pan and cool it down on a rack. Done!.
Slices have a chewy texture with a deep nutty flavor, perfect for a tuna fish sandwich or an afternoon snack spread with peanut butter. Here is my favorite recipe to make at home. Whole wheat breads have a reputation for difficulty, some of which is well-deserved. Whole wheat flour contains very little gluten, so recipes with a lot of whole. This bread has become my everyday sandwich bread.