Biscuits and gravy. Add buttermilk and knead on a floured. Cut biscuit rounds with a largish water glass. Biscuits and gravy is a popular breakfast dish in the United States, especially in the South.
In a large pot, add sausage and cook until browned and cooked through. Drain grease and add flour to sausage. Cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is well-coated with the flour. You can cook Biscuits and gravy using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Biscuits and gravy
- You need of (16 ounce) can refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits.
- Prepare 1 pound of sage flavored pork sausage.
- It’s of About 5 cups 2% milk.
- It’s 1 cup of flour.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper, more to taste.
- It’s of Garlic powder and onion powder.
Place your biscuits into the oven to cook according to the instructions on the can. Pour grease out of the skillet/pan you used for the sausage, adding back in only what you want to use to make the gravy. Biscuits and Gravy is a simple recipe buttery, flaky, homemade biscuits and a savory three-ingredient sausage gravy. A classic, hearty, and timeless breakfast combination and perfect served alongside a Vanilla Fruit Salad!
Biscuits and gravy instructions
- Preheat a 4-quart saucepan over medium high heat (put a few drops of water in the pan – when they evaporate, you know the pan is ready). Crumble the sausage into the pan and let it brown for a minute or two, then turn down to medium heat. Continue cooking, breaking up the sausage into smaller pieces, until no pink remains..
- Sprinkle the flour over the sausage. Stir in the flour and cook for about 6-8 minutes, until the mixture starts bubbling and turns slightly golden brown..
- Stir in the seasonings. I used salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder..
- Slowly add the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened (about 15 minutes). Be patient, it will thicken!.
- While gravy is thickening up prepare the biscuits. Follow the instructions on the back of the can. You can also make your own biscuits..
- To serve, break a biscuit in half and put it in a bowl or on a plate. Spoon a generous portion of sausage gravy over the biscuit half and top with the other biscuit half..
This is the best biscuits and gravy recipe and is shockingly simple to make. Meanwhile, make the gravy: In a large bowl, combine the pork, brown sugar, maple seasoning (if using), salt, black pepper, sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, nutmeg and cayenne, stirring to thoroughly combine. This homemade biscuits and gravy recipe is made with flakey buttermilk biscuits and a comforting sausage gravy that is made from scratch! A lot easier than you think! If you're making this for a crowd, consider adding my soft and fluffy cinnamon rolls or brioche french toast to the table.