Beef Stew. Beef stew is the ultimate comfort food. With switched-up ingredients and creative twists, these variations elevate the classic from familiar to fabulous. Beef stew meat breaks down and becomes more tender the longer you cook.
Heat a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper, and add to the pan. Add beef back to dutch oven then add broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves. You can have Beef Stew using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Beef Stew
- It’s 1 1/2 lbs of stew meat, cut in bite sized pieces.
- It’s 6 of medium size potatoes, cut in chunks.
- It’s 2 of large carrots, cut in chunks or baby carrots.
- It’s 1 of medium onion, cut in chunks.
- You need 2 of celery stalks, cut in 1 inch pieces.
- It’s 1 can of mushrooms.
- You need 2 1/2 cups of beef broth.
- You need 2-3 tablespoons of ketchup or tomato paste.
- It’s of Salt, pepper, garlic and Worcestershire for seasoning.
- Prepare 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2-3 tablespoons cold water.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the beef, beef broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat.
Beef Stew instructions
- Season meat with salt, pepper, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Brown in 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil..
- Add browned meat to crockpot..
- Add vegetables..
- Add broth and ketchup or tomato paste..
- Cook on high 4 hours or low 6-8 hours. You can also use pressure cooker or stovetop. If using stovetop, simmer on low until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently to prevent sticking/ scorching..
- Optional. If you like a thicker gravy, mix equal amounts cornstarch and cold water (2-3 tablespoons). Whisk together to make a slurry. Slowly add slurry to finished stew, a tablespoon at a time, until desired thickness..
In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery. A cozy, classic beef stew with tender beef, carrots, mushrooms + potatoes. Everyone will love this, especially on those chilly nights!