Okra Fry Bread. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour and salt. Whisk in water to make a thin batter. Over medium heat, add clarified butter to a cast iron skillet.
Over medium heat, add clarified butter to a cast iron skillet. Careful not to overwork dough, fold in onion and okra. Dip batter by spoonfuls and drop into hot grease. You can cook Okra Fry Bread using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Okra Fry Bread
- It’s 1/2 cup of corn meal.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of a.p. flour.
- It’s 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of water.
- You need 1/2 cup of okra, minced.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of onion, minced.
- It’s 1 of oil for frying.
In a large mixing bowl with a spoon mix together all ingredients except okra and oil. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Drop by spoonfuls into the hot oil. Season okra with salt and pepper.
Okra Fry Bread instructions
- Mix together all dry ingredients..
- Add in 3/4 cup of water and stir until dough comes together and resembles bread dough adding more water if needed..
- Careful not to overwork dough, fold in onion and okra. Then separate dough into 4-6 equal amounts..
- Form each portion into a ball with floured hands. Then using a rolling pin roll each out to 1/4 inch thickness. Poke a small hole in the center of each round. (This will help the bread to stay flat while frying.).
- Heat the oil in a skillet to 350°F. One at a time place the dough flat into the oil and fry on both sides until golden. Remove and place on a towel to cool and remove excess oil..
Add eggs to a separate small bowl. Combine flour, cornmeal, seasoned bread crumbs, paprika and cayenne into another small bowl and whisk together. Begin by dipping okra into cornmeal and flour coating. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge okra in the cornmeal mixture, coating evenly.