Okra Fry Bread. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour and salt. Whisk in water to make a thin batter. Over medium heat, add clarified butter to a cast iron skillet.
Over medium heat, add clarified butter to a cast iron skillet. Careful not to overwork dough, fold in onion and okra. Dip batter by spoonfuls and drop into hot grease. You can have Okra Fry Bread using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Okra Fry Bread
- It’s of corn meal.
- You need of a.p. flour.
- You need of baking powder.
- Prepare of salt.
- It’s of water.
- Prepare of okra, minced.
- You need of onion, minced.
- You need of oil for frying.
The typical okra preparation involves a simple breading procedure followed by two to three minutes of frying. The guidelines that apply to breading okra for freezing mirror those used when frying it – a coating of buttermilk egg wash is applied then followed by dredging in seasoned flour. Kate Van Vleck/Demand Media Season okra with salt and pepper. Add eggs to a separate small bowl.
Okra Fry Bread instructions
- Mix together all dry ingredients..
- Add in 3/4 cup of water and stir until dough comes together and resembles bread dough adding more water if needed..
- Careful not to overwork dough, fold in onion and okra. Then separate dough into 4-6 equal amounts..
- Form each portion into a ball with floured hands. Then using a rolling pin roll each out to 1/4 inch thickness. Poke a small hole in the center of each round. (This will help the bread to stay flat while frying.).
- Heat the oil in a skillet to 350°F. One at a time place the dough flat into the oil and fry on both sides until golden. Remove and place on a towel to cool and remove excess oil..
Combine flour, cornmeal, seasoned bread crumbs, paprika and cayenne into another small bowl and whisk together. Begin by dipping okra into cornmeal and flour coating. In a large mixing bowl with a spoon mix together all ingredients except okra and oil. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Drop by spoonfuls into the hot oil.