Fry Bread. Fry bread is a round, fried dough native to the Navajo people. Turns out they did have baking powder. Fry bread was originally invented by the Navajo tribe after they were forced into internment camps by the United States Calvary.
Drain on paper towels or napkins before serving. Lightly flour surface and pat and roll out baseball size pieces of dough. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. You can have Fry Bread using 6 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fry Bread
- You need 1 1/2 cup of warm water.
- It’s 1 packages of yeast.
- You need 1/3 cup of sugar.
- You need 4 cup of flour.
- It’s 1/4 cup of vegtable oil.
- It’s 4 cup of vegtable oil.
Drain on paper towels; if desired, serve warm with butter, honey and fresh lemon juice. Originally, it is a Native American Navajo tradition, invented at a time when the Natives were in captivity and attempts were made to starve them out. It is warm and delicious, piled high on a plate. It brings families together for meals and new memories.
Fry Bread step by step
- Add warm water, yeast, and sugar in bowl..
- Mix then let stand for 5 min.
- Add flour..
- Mix until a big ball.
- Take the 1/4 cup of oil and drizzle over dough. only enough to LIGHTLY COAT THE BALL..
- After letting rise, grab handful out and stretch into desired flat size..
- Cover with towl and let rise for 60 min.
- When your 60 min are almost up. Put your 4 cups of oil in a deep pan and heat slowly..
- Wheb ready grab a handful and stretch into desired flat size and fry..
- When done you can top it with mulitipul things if desired. Butter, honey, powderd sugar, sugar, jam, or any other desired item..
It is shared by many, from coast to coast and beyond. It is a celebration of old and new, traditional and modern, similarity and difference. Frybread (also spelled fry bread) is a flat dough bread, fried or deep-fried in oil, shortening, or lard. Made with simple ingredients, generally wheat flour, sugar, salt, and fat, frybread can be eaten alone or with various toppings such as honey, jam, powdered sugar, venison, or beef. Frybread can also be made into tacos, like Navajo tacos.