Grannys' Beef Stew. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Flour meat in small batches and brown in hot oil.
Mix until all the beef is covered. (I use Penzey's and it does not have salt in it. Directions In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Place all ingredients into a slow cooker and cover tightly. You can cook Grannys' Beef Stew using 10 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Grannys' Beef Stew
- It’s 1 large of onion(chopped).
- It’s 7 of Idaho potatoes.
- Prepare 1 can of whole green beans.
- You need 1 tbsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Cornstarch.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Crisco shortening.
- Prepare 1 of water.
- It’s 2 1/2 lb of stew meat less 3 or 4 chunks.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of lawery's seasoned salt.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Flour… Plain or self rising.
If stew seems too thick or dry, you may add a little more beef broth. Alternate directions: Put all ingredients into a deep casserole dish and cover tightly. Pour in the diced tomatoes and broth and stir in the salt, cocoa, allspice, cumin, thyme, paprika, Worcestershire, soy sauce, ketchup and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and add back the beef.
Grannys' Beef Stew instructions
- Put the stew meat in a pot and cover with water(less 3 or 4 chunks).
- take the 3 or 4 chunks of beef and cut them into very tiny pieces.
- add the tiny pieces of beef and the seasonings to your pot and start cooking on medium low heat.
- in the meantime chop the onion and add to the pot.
- cover and simmer on medium low heat for a couple of hours.
- after a couple of hours peal your potatoes and cut into small chunks.
- add your potatoes and green beans and continue to cook on medium low.
- * note I do not brown my beef… or ever let my pot come to a rapid boil!!! this will ensure that your beef will be very tender.
- about an hour later your green beans will no longer be floating and your potatoes will be tender.
- this next step is a little complicated.
- in a skillet heat your Crisco shortening until has all melted in is rather hot.
- while your shortening is heating… mixed together your flour and cornstarch.
- slowly add your flour cornstarch mixture to the hot grease.
- brown flour…I use the bottom of a large cooking spoon to brown mine.
- as you brown the flower uncover your pot and turn the heat up… when your part is near a boil in your flower is brown slowly add the browned flower to your pot… please know that if your stock is not hot enough… it will cause your gravy to be lumpy.
- now all you have to do is sit and wait for your gravy to thicken.
- just in case you're wondering…. by cutting those 3 or 4 chunks into small pieces… it will give your stew a country style gravy.. with a little bit of Beef.
- also I'll have to variations of this recipe… sometimes I use half sweet potatoes and half Idaho potatoes….
- once when I got ready to add my potatoes I realized I didn't have any… so I added to packs of ramen noodles… it took less time of course… however I enjoyed both veriations.
This amazing Old School Russian Beef Stew is My Granny's signature recipe. Everyone who ever tried this recipe, instantly fell in love with it. Beef stew just like the one my grandma just to cook for me. You will love this beef stew! Add the chopped beef stew meat and cover meat completely by shaking and turning the bag of dry ingredients with the meat inside.