Pain au lait (French Milk Bread). Pain Au Lait translates directly to "Milk Bread," a humble name for these slightly sweet, elegant, brioche-like rolls. Moist, eggy, and straightforward, they pair beautifully with butter and jam (we recommend Trader Joe's French Cultured Butter and Raspberry Preserves) and are perfect for dunking in coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Petit Pains au lait which means small or little milk breads.
The dough is prepared only with milk and water or anything else as liquid is avoided for making this cute bread rolls. Once the proofing is done, brush the dough with egg wash and use scizzor to make zigzag cut. In a large bowl, mix the flours, sugar and salt until thoroughly combined. You can have Pain au lait (French Milk Bread) using 12 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pain au lait (French Milk Bread)
- Prepare of A. Bread.
- You need 230 g of all purpose flour.
- You need 60 g of bread flour.
- Prepare 125 g of whole milk.
- You need 40 g of sugar.
- You need 4 g of instant yeast.
- Prepare 3 g of salt.
- It’s 1 of egg (50g).
- Prepare 65 g of unsalted butter.
- It’s of B. Topping.
- Prepare 30 g of pearl sugar.
- You need 1 of egg +15ml water.
Pour in the yeast and milk mixture, softened butter and beaten egg and stir to combine. Turn out onto a lightly floured. They are perfect for breakfast, lunch boxes and picnics. Description Petit Pains au Lait are soft french milk bread rolls that can be served at any time of the day.
Pain au lait (French Milk Bread) step by step
- In a mixing bowl, mixed all the ingredients (exept butter) together. Use a spoon to slightly stir it until it form a sticky dough. Use the dough hook in the machine to beat the dough at medium to low speed for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add butter change from medium to high speed for about 7 minutes until the dough is smooth and leaves the side of the mixing bowl..
- Transfer the dough out to a lightly floured surface. Lightly knead Lightly knead, shape into a ball. Cover the dough with a wet towel or clingy wrap in the process of proofing..
- Let it proof 30 minutes..
- Divide into 6-8 equal portions. Cover by clingy wrap and rest 10’..
- Roll the dough into a long cylindrical shape. Transfer the dough to the baking tray and and let it proof until it is double to triple in size (about 60’)..
- Preheat the oven to 210oC. Prepare 2 cups of boiling water to be put in 2 different corner of the oven..
- Once the proofing is done, brush the dough with egg wash and use scizzor to make zigzag cut..
- Sprinkle pearl sugar on top..
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bread is golden brown..
- Ta da….
- So soft inside!.
- Best served with a cup of milk coffee..
- Lovely bread!.
This is an eggless recipe for these soft french rolls. It is delicious home made milk bread popularly called 'Pain au Lait' in bakeries in Cameroon. The softness plus the aroma that emanates from it make it an absolute favourite. Infact, we traded the dinner I made for the irresistible loaves. Here is what you will need: "Pain au lait" literally translates to "milk bread", but such a humble name hardly describes the elegant things.