Mike's French Onion Soup. Mike's French Onion Soup MMOBRIEN ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO. This incredibly rich, decedent, tummy filling French Onion Soup absolutely bursts with onion, garlic and Gruyère flavors! It's great for lunches or chilly evening dinners.
From the farm to your table – enjoy! Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home. You can have Mike's French Onion Soup using 16 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mike's French Onion Soup
- It’s 2 of EX LG Vidalia Onions [no substitutions].
- You need 2 of Coves Garlic [smashed & fine chopped].
- It’s 1/3 Cup of Green Onions [small chop].
- Prepare 1/2 Stick of Unsalted Butter.
- Prepare 1 of LG Bay Leaf.
- It’s 3/4 teaspoon of Dried Thyme.
- It’s of Cracked Black Pepper [to taste].
- Prepare 32 oz of Box Beef Broth [low sodium].
- It’s 1/2 Cup of Dry White Wine [chardonnay].
- Prepare 1 of LG Baguette Bread.
- It’s of Garlic Butter [as needed – for bread].
- You need 1 of Gruyère Cheese [4 slices or 1 brick – you can substitute Swiss if in a pinch].
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of AP Flour.
- You need of Fresh Parsley [for garnish].
- It’s 1/2-3/4 Packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix.
- Prepare 2 of LG Oven Safe Ramikins.
Pour in the white wine and saute until wine has evaporated. FREE Delivery on your first order shipped. Although onion soups date back to Roman times, this particular soup began life in eighteenth century Paris as a beef broth with caramelised onions on top. Now served without the beef, the quality of the onions is crucial.
Mike's French Onion Soup step by step
- Add butter to a large pot. Slice onions thin and place in pot. Also, add your green onions, garlic, thyme, black pepper and bay leaf. Simmer onions for 25+ minutes until onions are limp and translucent. Stir regularly..
- Add white wine and simmer 5 minutes longer to burn off alcohol. Pull bay leaf..
- Dust onion mixture with your flour and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes to cook out any flavor of flour. Stir constantly. Add minimal amounts of butter to pot if your flour begins to seize up and is too difficult to stir. Or, if you feel it's in danger of burning..
- Add your broth and 1/2 to 3/4 package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix. I use 2/3's packet for the additional sodium & onion flavors. It really does balance the sweetness of the Vidalia Onions quite well. Simmer 10 minutes longer. Stir occasionally..
- Here's your desired outcome..
- Slice your Baguette Bread into 4 pieces. Cut more if you'd like to serve additional slices for dipping. Coat slices with garlic butter. Place in a 350° preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes – or, until baguettes are browned and crispy..
- Ladle your hot soup into your Ramikins. Place Ramikins on a lifted edge cookie sheet. These can easily overflow. In fact, it's desired that they do! Just not today in my new oven..
- Place 2 toasted garlic Crustinis in each of your your Ramikins..
- Slice your Gruyère Cheese and place on top of your toasted Crustinis..
- Turn on your ovens broiler..
- Place Ramikins in oven for 5 minutes. Or, until your cheese is fully melted and browned..
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Allow dish to sit for 3 minutes. Then serve. Enjoy!.
You want both high acidity and high sugar levels to create a. We all make onion soups differently, and it's not the soup so much, as the lovely cheese and bread on the top that makes it a special soup for any occasion. I puree mine to make it palatable for my kids, but you can make it as a chunky option, with the onions obvious in the dish. For the soup, when the onions are a deep golden colour and have shrunk dramatically, add the brandy. Turn up the heat and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until the additional liquid seems to have evaporated.