Chinese Beef Noodle Soup. Chinese beef noodle soup is mainly made from beef, noodles and vegetables. It is spread throughout China, and according to the variety of ingredients and different cooking methods that take every place has its unique taste. How to make chinese beef noodle soup Brown the meat, ginger, and green onions.
Beef noodle soup possibly is the most favorited Chinese style noodle soup. Every noodle restaurant serve their own beef noodle. We use a less intense beef stock (instead of chicken and pork stock) as the base of the noodle soup. You can cook Chinese Beef Noodle Soup using 33 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chinese Beef Noodle Soup
- You need 1 kg of Beef bones (optional).
- You need 2 kg of Beef (I used "beef finger meat" but shank and chuck are great).
- You need 2 tsp of whole coriander seeds.
- You need 2 tsp of whole fennel seeds.
- You need 1 tsp of whole cloves.
- It’s 6 pods of star anise.
- Prepare 1 of orange peel.
- Prepare 2 sticks of cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Szechuan peppercorns.
- You need 8-10 of bay leaves.
- You need 3/4 cup of oil.
- It’s 2 of onions, sliced.
- It’s 12 cloves of garlic, smashed.
- You need 4 of red chiles, halved.
- It’s 10 of scallions, cut into thirds.
- It’s 100 g of fresh ginger, sliced.
- Prepare 130 g of Rock Sugar.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Doubanjiang (bean paste).
- It’s 3 tbsp of La Doubanjiang (spicy bean paste).
- It’s 1 cup of light soy sauce.
- You need 1 cup of dark soy sauce.
- You need 1 cup of Shaoxing wine (or rice wine).
- It’s 2 tbsp of black vinegar.
- You need 4 of tomatoes, quartered.
- You need 4 tsp of MSG or salt.
- Prepare 1-3 tsp of Chili Oil for serving (see recipe).
- Prepare of Cilantro for serving.
- You need of Scallions for serving.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Black Vinegar for serving.
- You need 1 tsp of Sesame oil for serving.
- You need 1 tsp of soy sauce for serving.
- It’s pinch of fresh ground white pepper for serving.
- Prepare 1 portion of wheat noodles for serving.
The beef is braised in a similar way, but the flavor is more similar to typical northern Chinese – spicy and savory without a taste of the sea. The dish usually uses fresh hand-pulled noodles that are wide and have a springy texture. Bring to a boil and cook for a few more minutes until you see some foam floating on the top of the water. You don't want these impurities from the beef making your soup cloudy.
Chinese Beef Noodle Soup instructions
- (optional) For extra beefy flavour, make beef stock with the bones by boiling them in water with your largest stock pot. After about 5 minutes there will be a lot of scum on top, so use a strainer to skim off the scum every couple of minutes until the stock produces no more foam. It should look a bit green and oily when finished (see pic). Reduce heat to keep it simmering for 1-3 hrs to extract maximum flavour. Alternatively, you can skip this step just use water.
- While stock is simmering, blanch your beef to remove impurities. In a clean pot, boil just enough water to cover your beef and then add the beef and keep it boiling for 1-2 minutes. Remove the beef, rinse in clean water, cut into eating sized chunks. Discard the scummy water from this step..
- Make spice ball by placing coriander, fennel, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, orange peel, Szechuan peppercorns, and bay leaves into a spice ball or spice bag..
- In a wok or large pan over medium-high heat, pour in vegetable oil. Once heated, add the onions, garlic, chilis, scallions, ginger, rock sugar, and bean pastes. Cook until the onions start to become translucent..
- Add Shaoxing wine, allow some alcohol to cook off, then add soy sauces..
- Add the sliced beef, spice ball, and tomatoes. Stir fry for about 10 minutes..
- Go back to your beef bone stock and remove all the bones, then strain it into a large bowl to remove all the sediment at bottom of pot..
- Combine beef bone stock and beef with braising liquid/spices/vegetables in a large pot. Simmer on low heat for at least 2 hours until flavours combine and meat is tender..
- Check occasionally and skim off any scum on the top. When almost finished simmering, taste the broth and season. I usually add 2-4 tsp of MSG at this point..
- Remove spice bag, or if you didn't use bag, remove the meat and tomatoes and then strain out the remaining solids. Add meat and tomatoes back to broth..
- To serve, put light soy sauce, sesame oil, black vinegar, and ground white pepper in bottom of each bowl. Add broth and noodles, and top with chili oil, thinly sliced scallions, and lots of cilantro..
Chinese Braised Beef Noodle Soup A steaming bowl of beef noodle soup is the ultimate in Chinese comfort food. This recipe looks long, but it's simple – beef shank slow-braised in soy sauce and wine, ginger and green onions. Serve over hot noodles and broth. A bowl of noodles in a well-spiced broth topped with tender beef cubes, spicy beef noodle soup is pungent, fragrant and very comforting indeed. Here in our Red House everyone is craving something hearty and comforting for dinner.