Fall off the bone Herb and red wine Beef Shanks. The nice thing about beef shanks as a cut is that they are generally inexpensive as it is quite tough unless done properly. Here we will use red wine and stock to both marinade the beef and cook it. Beef shanks are inexpensive and this recipe is easy to do.
We are not a big fans of chewing on rosemary and thyme leaves but love the flavor and fresh herbs tastes better than the dried herbs to me anyways. Pour the remaining wine and water into the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then turn dow the heat to a low-medium heat, or until the liquid hits a low simmer. You can have Fall off the bone Herb and red wine Beef Shanks using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Fall off the bone Herb and red wine Beef Shanks
- It’s 3 lb of Beef Shanks.
- Prepare 2-3 cups of red cooking wine.
- It’s 2-3 cups of water.
- Prepare to taste of McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning.
- Prepare 4 of fresh thyme sprigs.
- Prepare 2 of fresh rosemary sprigs.
- It’s 1/2 of white onion quartered.
- It’s 5 clove of Garlic or what you prefer.
- It’s To taste of paprika.
- You need 2 of Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 4 of fresh basil leaves.
Stir in the garlic and herbs. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping the bottom and sides to loosen the browned particles. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Braised beef shanks are an easy cold weather meal. [Photographs: Daniel Gritzer] Hefty beef shanks are braised in an ample amount of red wine with carrots and onions until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
Fall off the bone Herb and red wine Beef Shanks instructions
- Season bed Shanks with Montreal Steak and Paprika to taste.
- Prepare your herbs, onion and garlic, set aside.
- In a medium fry pan, use 4tbs of oil and sear beef Shanks until brown, remove from pan.
- Transfer beef into roasting pan, crock pot or casserole dish and cover with herbs, wine, soup mix and water. Even though mine has a lid, I still covered the top with aluminum foil to ensure liquids wouldn’t evaporate. Set oven to 350 degrees and let cook for 3.5 hours, do not open until done..
- It’s done!.
The braising liquid and aromatic vegetables are then blended into a rich sauce. Why this recipe works: Toss beef shanks one at a time in oil. Sear remaining beef shanks and place all beef- shanks into the pan. Add beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, bring to a full boil and reduce to simmer. Braising the lamb shanks produce succulent, fall-off-the-bone tender meat that is bursting with flavor from the herb blend, wine and beef broth.