Mama's Southern Potato Salad. Your favourite meals from your favourite restaurants delivered quickly with Uber Eats. Tasty meals, local favourites, and delicious dishes delivered fast. How to Make Mama's Potato Salad Potato salad is one of the easiest side dishes you can make for big payoff when it's done.
Mama's a handful, but she knows what she's doing in the kitchen. And when it comes to classic Southern potato salad, she's the queen. None of that wishy-washy "some prefer to add celery while others do not" nonsense. You can have Mama's Southern Potato Salad using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mama's Southern Potato Salad
- You need 4-6 of Med to Large Russet potatoes or 8-10 Red potatoes (Using russets in the pictures).
- Prepare 4 of Large Eggs (or more if you like, my family does, so I use 6, at least).
- Prepare 1 of Med Sweet onion or 1 Bundle Green Onions (Optional) Using sweet onion for these pics.
- You need 1 1/2 c. of Mayonnaise (Maybe a little more or less to taste).
- Prepare 1/3 c. of Sweet Relish.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of (of each) Spicy, Honey Dijon, and Reg. Mustard.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of Creole Seasoning (More or Less depending on how you like your spice level!! You can buy at the grocery store but I also have a homemade recipe for it as well, on my page).
- Prepare 1/4 c. of Bacon Bits or 2-3 slices of bacon, fried and broken up.
- Prepare 2-3 of Roasted Garlic Cloves minced and chopped up (Easy, EASY recipe also available for Roasted Garlic on my page) or Couple tbsp Minced garlic, Garlic Salt or Powder will work too.
- You need To Taste of Salt and Pepper.
There's no celery in Mama's classic recipe for potato salad. The perfect plant-based side dish for your summer BBQs. Simply serve this ready-made dish as is, or eat right out of the bag (we won't judge!). Chop whites and add to potatoes with onion.
Mama's Southern Potato Salad step by step
- Get the potatoes in heavily salted water, begin to slowly boil, to be able to add eggs. Add eggs when boiling starts. Cover and let boil for another 10 – 15 min..
- While the boiling is going on, prepare the onions and precooked garlic (if that's what your using, this is the garlic in the pic) Chop or dice both very finely..
- This is the chopped onion..
- Once the boiling is finished. Drain the water off of the potatoes and eggs. Cool down easiest way possible…. for me I drain the hot water off and add cold water, then refrigerate while getting other ingredients together. If I'm in a hurry I do an ice bath, pull off the heat, drain, then add ice and cold, COLD water to it. Let it sit for a few min then begin the peeling process. This way the skins of the potatoes will peel straight off with your fingers, nothing else needed..
- Once potatoes are peeled, dice LARGELY!! Peel eggs and dice LARGELY, as well. When you mix everything it will come together great, so go BIGGER on cutting up the POTATOES N EGGS!! That's kinda the great thing about this recipe your cuts don't have to be perfect!! Go ahead and add garlic and seasoning (salt, pepper, creole, ect.) and stir it up!!.
- Last step!! Mix it all together!!! Add the mustard, mayo, relish!! The longer you can let it sit, and marinate, it makes it better. I usually make mine the night before and that's the way my family likes it!!.
In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Peel and cut potatoes into cubes and place into a large serving bowl. Add salt, pepper, pimentos and pickles to the potatoes. Peel and chop cooled eggs and add to the potatoes.