Vietnamese Beef Stew. Bo kho is a delicious Vietnamese pot-roasted beef stew, fragrant with lemongrass, star anise and cinnamon. When the meat is fork tender, carrots are added to complete the dish. Vietnamese bò kho (beef stew) is packed with tender, fall-apart braised chunks of beef loaded with herbs, aromatics and a delicious broth that will have you coming back with more Vietnamese baguette!
For many Vietnamese, bo kho is ultimate breakfast food. Not milk or cereal, not even fancy preparations of eggs, delicious as they may be can compare to the aroma of all the fragrant spices in bo kho. Vietnamese Beef Stew, or Bò Kho, was one of the very first dishes my mother-in-law taught me to cook after seeing the disastrous results when left on my own. You can have Vietnamese Beef Stew using 17 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vietnamese Beef Stew
- You need of ingredients: 2 lbs beef shank, cut into 1.5 inch cubes.
- Prepare 1/2 knob of ginger, thinly sliced.
- You need 2 of beef tendon strips or about 1/2 lb.
- It’s 1 stalk of lemongrass (white end bruised and slice into 4-5 inch.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves 3-4 star anise seeds, (toasted optional).
- You need 32 oz of beef broth 4 medium sized carrots 2 tbs annato seed oil.
- It’s 1 tbs of diced shallots 1 tbs minced garlic 1 tbs paprika.
- It’s 1 tbs of minced lemongrass 1/2 tbs fish sauce 1/2 ts red chili powd.
- It’s 1/4 of ts cinnamon 1/4 ts clove powder 1/4 ts anise powder.
- Prepare 1 of ts ground pepper 1 ts sugar.
- It’s of Marinade 1 tbs diced shallots 1 tbs minced garlic.
- You need 1 tbs of paprika 1 tbs minced lemongrass 1/2 tbs fish sauce.
- You need 1/2 of ts red chili powder 1/4 ts cinnamon 1/4 ts clove powder.
- It’s 1/4 of ts anise powder 1 ts ground pepper 1 ts sugar.
- Prepare of Accompaniments Toasted French baguettes Fresh Basil.
- Prepare of lime/lemon wedges Diced cilantro and green onions Sliced jalapen.
- It’s of Rice noodles.
My first attempt at Bò Kho resulted in an impenetrable thick stew with chewy, borderline inedible, meat. I had the flavor right b If you love beef stew, you definitely need to check out this Bo Kho recipe – this Vietnamese beef stew has all the flavors of a traditional beef stew with additional aromatics from lemongrass and star anise to give it another dimension of flavor. Bo Kho: Spicy Vietnamese Beef Stew with Noodles Bo Kho is a spicy and flavorful Vietnamese beef stew that makes a pretty epic bowl of noodle soup. Bho Kho is a nice change to the usual bowl of pho noodles Vietnamese Bo Kho (beef stew) can be served three different ways.
Vietnamese Beef Stew instructions
- In large mixing bowl, combine the beef shank with the spice marinade for at least 2 hours. Saute the beef with 1 tbs of annato seed oil until browned and seared under medium high heat. Transfer this into the slow cooker. Add the beef tendons, stalk of lemonsgrass, star anise seeds, bay leaves, and beef broth. You may need to add more broth or water to just cover and submerge the beef. Set slow cooker to lowest possible setting and allow to cook covered for overnight or about 8 hours. About 1 h.
- Set slow cooker to lowest possible setting and allow to cook covered for overnight or about 8 hours. About 1 hour before it's done, add the carrots. Just before serving add another 1 tbs of annato seed oil to the broth for a great red color. Make final adjustment and season to taste.
It can be served with sliced french baguettes that are dipped before eating. The Vietnamese stew can also be served with a bowl of jasmine rice. It can also be served atop rice noodles. A delicious Vietnamese beef stew (bò sốt vang) flavored with star anise and coriander, then cooked with carrots, in a red wine sauce. A tasty variation on an European favorite.