Tender Beef Shank Stew. Place a Dutch Oven or other oven-proof heavy bottomed pot that has a tight fitting lid on medium heat. Add oil and butter to heat. Dry shank portions and salt both sides of shank.
Add beef shank, carrots, celery, red potatoes, broth, tomatoes, and spices. Salt and pepper to taste and serve. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. You can have Tender Beef Shank Stew using 11 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Tender Beef Shank Stew
- Prepare 350 grams of Beef shank.
- You need 1 of bottle Red wine.
- It’s 3 of ●Potatoes.
- Prepare 2 of ●Onion.
- You need 1 of ●Carrot.
- Prepare 1/2 of pack Shimeji mushrooms.
- Prepare 1/2 of Celery (stem part).
- Prepare 1/2 of packet Beef stew roux.
- You need 1 of Bay leaf.
- You need 1 of Olive oil.
- You need 1 of Heavy cream.
Beef stew is the benevolent king of all stews. Familiar yet never tiresome, chunks of tender beef and potatoes in rich brown gravy will always bring comfort and joy to our tables. Little things are what elevate a good stew to become a great one. Taking time to sear the beef is integral to flavor in both the meat and the gravy, as is letting it simmer low and slow until the beef is spoon-tender.
Tender Beef Shank Stew instructions
- Cut the beef shank into big bite sized portions. Put in a shallow container, soak in 1/2 of the red wine (360 ml) at room temperature for 30 minutes..
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan, brown the beef shank well on all sides over medium heat. Keep the wine in the container..
- When browned, add the wine from the container (Step 2) and bay leaf and simmer in this frying pan over low heat for 30 minutes..
- Cut the ● ingredients into bite sized pieces and soak the potatoes in water. Cut the celery into 5mm strips. Cut the root ends off the shimeji mushrooms and shred into small clumps..
- Coat a thick pan with some olive oil, add the vegetables from Step 4 (except the potatoes) and stir fry over medium heat..
- When everything is evenly cooked, add the beef and sauce from Step 3 and the remaining wine from Step 1. If you don't like wine, add water (360 ml) instead..
- Turn the heat up to high, bring to a boil and simmer for 5~10 minutes and skim off the scum really well. If you don't bring it to a boil and simmer properly, it will be very sour..
- Cover with a lid and turn the heat down to very low and simmer for about 1 hour. It may burn depending on your pan, so check from time to time..
- Remove the bay leaf, add the potatoes and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. If the sauce has reduced too much, add some water (not listed in the ingredients)..
- Turn off the heat, break apart the roux and add to the pan and stir. When it has dissolved, simmer over low heat. It's done when the sauce has thickened ..
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with heavy cream to taste..
- You can transform the left-over beef stew into pasta sauce. Beef Stew Fettuccine.. https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/149204-beef-stew-fettuccine.
- I bought a skillet, so I used it to warm up the stew. Topped with chrysanthemum greens.
Want beef stew with tender and juicy pieces of meat? Don't buy pre-cut "stewing beef." Here's what you need to know, along with results from our tests of the most common choices for beef stew, to get the best beef stew every time.. Beef shanks aren't usually cheap, and on top of that, you have to account for the fact that a good third of. Tender Stew Meat Tips Use chuck roast for a beef stew and cook it for at least three hours until the tender stew meat breaks apart easily with a fork. There's more than one way to soften up a tough cut of chuck roast, and it isn't a bad idea to use more than one of the following techniques together.