Japanese Curry with Beef (from scratch). Zet lekkere en verrassende gerechten op tafel met de Allerhande recepten van Albert Heijn. Japanese curry (or kare, as it's called in Japan) is one of the nation's most popular convenience and comfort foods. Most renditions come straight from a package, but by making it from scratch at home, you can get better, fresher, and bolder spice flavors throughout.
The flavor of Japanese curry is quite different from Indian or Thai curry. The curry is made by sauteing onions and then adding a protein (such as chicken, pork, or beef), carrots and potatoes along with water before cooking it until the meat and potatoes are tender. The roux blocks go in at the very end to season and thicken the curry. You can cook Japanese Curry with Beef (from scratch) using 22 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Japanese Curry with Beef (from scratch)
- It’s 250 g of Beef (slice thinly).
- Prepare 70 of Yellow Onions (diced neatly).
- You need 1/2 (80 g) of Fuji Apple (chopped finely).
- It’s 70 g of Celery (diced neatly).
- You need 60 g of Carrots (diced neatly).
- You need 100 g of Potatoes (diced neatly).
- It’s 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of S&B Curry Powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of Sugar.
- It’s 2 pinches (2 g) of Salt.
- It’s 1-2 cup of Stock/Water.
- It’s of [Curry Roux];.
- You need 3 Tbsp of Butter.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of Flour.
- You need 1 Tbsp of S&B Curry Powder.
- You need 0.5-1 cup of Water/Stock.
- It’s of [Quick Katsu Sauce recipe];.
- You need 3 Tbsp of Tomato paste.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Kikkoman Light Soy sauce.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Sugar.
And now we present to you the recipe! Behold, how to make Japanese curry from SCRATCH! There are two parts to making Japanese curry from scratch. An essential part of it is making high quality beef stock.
Japanese Curry with Beef (from scratch) instructions
- Heat 2 Tbsp of cooking oil in a wok until hot and dry the onions until it is fragrant and translucent. Then add the apples and caramelise them for 2-3 minutes..
- Then add the beef, mix well and cook them until the beef is brown all over. Then add in the potatoes, Celery, carrots and stir fry them for 1 minutes. Add stock/water as well as 1 Tbsp of curry powder and let it cook until veggies and beef are tender..
- Meanwhile, in another wok, and in bitter and flour, mix well and cook them to a smooth consistency (try not to let the butter become brown). Add the S&B Curry Powder and Katsu sauce and mix well. Lastly add the stock and mix it to smooth consistency again..
- Add the Curry Roux to the Beef and Veggie broth and then mix well. Season with Salt and then serve..
Japanese curry is a rich, thick curry, with meat and root vegetables. While there are options to make it spicier, it is typically milder and sweeter than most Asian curries. So, if you are not a huge fan of spicy curries, this is the perfect one for you! It is typically served over rice, udon noodles, or inside deep-fried breads. Japanese curry is very different to most curries you might be familiar with.