"Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe. Add red onion, garlic, and more of the salt seasoning. Stir in cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cloves, and allspice. Transfer beef to a slow cooker.
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Remove meat from heat and reserve broth. You can cook "Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of "Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe
- Prepare 2 lb of beef flank steak (pre-cooked in the stew or soup).
- It’s 3 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- It’s 2 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 1 of onion, sliced.
- You need 1 of green belt pepper, seeded and slice into strips.
- Prepare 1 can of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 of bay leave.
- Prepare 1 cup of white dry wine.
Once meat has cooled down, shred and reserve. Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. For our ropa vieja recipe we're also adding an array of other classic Cuban and Spanish ingredients such as olives, pimientos and capers. In addition to the red bell pepper that's caramelized with the onions, we're also going to add roasted red bell pepper in the end for added smokiness, sweetness and flavor.
"Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe step by step
- Separate the meat into thin shreads or strands.
- Crush the garlic cloves and saute in the hot oil with the onion..
- add the green pepper and saute a little bit together..
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let it cooked in slow temperature, stirring ocasionally. for about 15 or 20 minutes..
- To serve with white rice and a good fresh salad..
The authentic ropa vieja recipe to the Cuban style, it is a simple and a very nice dish, although the majority of the time use to prepare this delicious dish, is in the process of flaking the meat. We assure you that it is worth to wait because the result is delicious, so now let's see how to prepare the Cuban ropa vieja. Sauté onions, garlic and green pepper in oil in the same pan you cooked the meat in until limp. Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, cumin, red wine and bay leaf. Ropa vieja is a popular dish of the Canary Islands and Cuba.