Baked Shepherd's Pie. For the mash, boil the potatoes until tender. Drain, add the milk, butter and egg yolk, then mash until smooth. Scrape all the meat off the lamb bone and put through a mincer with the carrot, celery, parsley, shallots and leftover gravy and fat from the roasting tin.
Peel and cube the potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. In a snug-fitting high-sided roasting tray, rub the lamb all over with a little oil and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Freeze the meat filling and mashed potato separately in freezer-proof containers. You can have Baked Shepherd's Pie using 11 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baked Shepherd's Pie
- You need 500 grams of Potatoes.
- Prepare 150 grams of Ground beef and pork mix.
- It’s 1/2 medium of sized Onion.
- You need 70 ml of Milk.
- It’s 30 grams of Easy melting cheese.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 dash of Pepper.
- It’s 1 dash of Nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and pepper (For the mashed potatoes).
- It’s 1 of Whisked eggs (This helps to brown the recipe more easily; optional).
To cook from frozen, defrost the meat and mashed potato in the. Place the mince, onion and garlic in an ovenproof dish. Add the mixed herbs, gravy and crumble the stock cube in and mix. Top with the mashed potato and use the back of a fork to press evenly over the lamb.
Baked Shepherd's Pie instructions
- Peel the potatoes, cut into fourths, and boil..
- Finely chop the onions, and sauté in a pan coated with vegetable oil (not listed, about 1 teaspoon) until they become transparent..
- Add the ground meat, cook until it changes color, add salt, soy sauce, pepper, and nutmeg and sauté some more..
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, drain, season with salt and pepper, and mash..
- Once they are pretty well mashed, add milk and mix thoroughly (Adjust the firmness to your liking with milk). Taste, and add more salt if needed..
- Put half of the mashed potatoes into a casserole dish, and spread it out evenly..
- Add all of the ground meat from step 3, and top with cheese..
- Divide the remaining mashed potatoes into 3 equal portions and scatter on top..
- Press it out evenly with plastic wrap..
- Coat it with whisked egg; use a fork to make a pattern, and cook at 480°F/250°C for 15 minutes, and then at 570°F/300°C for another 5-6 minutes..
- You are done once it turns golden brown!.
- *If you are having trouble getting it to turn golden brown, I have a little trick… Mix 1 teaspoon of Mirin in with the whisked eggs and coat, and it will turn golden brown easily..
- **If you don't have Mirin, then bake at 570°F/300°C from the start until it browns, and then reduce the heat..
Add remaining onion and diced carrots; cook until tender. Add lamb and cook until well browned. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet. Poke a few times on each side with a fork, then brush all over with olive oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt. Put the minced lamb into a large frying pan and heat gently until the fat runs.