Beef Stroganoff. This recipe uses a roux to create a beef gravy that is then thickened with sour cream AND cream cheese. A little bit of zip is added using pepper flakes. With its tender chunks of beef coated in a luscious creamy sauce and served over a bed of buttery noodles, it's no wonder Beef Stroganoff is such a hit.
With switched-up ingredients and creative twists, these popular variations elevate the classic dish from familiar to fabulous. Add the cream of mushroom soup and beef broth. Adjust seasoning to taste, adding salt and pepper, as needed. You can cook Beef Stroganoff using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Beef Stroganoff
- You need 1 package of egg noodles (or noodles you prefer).
- Prepare 1 family pack of beef tips.
- It’s 1 can (32 ounce) of beef broth (or two regular cans).
- It’s 16 ounce of sour cream.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 can (30 ounce) of cream of mushroom (or two regular sizes).
- Prepare 1 pack of fresh sliced mushrooms.
- You need of Worcestershire Sauce.
Stir in the sour cream the last few minutes, right before you serve. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then push the beef strips off to one side.
Beef Stroganoff instructions
- Add beef tips, mushrooms, cream of mushroom, beef broth, and about a half of cup of water making sure beef tips are all covered with liquid… Turn heat on medium high heat (fresh mushrooms optional but do cook way down!).
- Season now with salt, pepper, garlic and few dashes of Worcestershire sauce while waiting for it to come to a boil stirring occasionally so nothing gets stuck to the bottom.
- Once broth comes to a boil stir cover with lid and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Stirring occasionally and covering back with lid for next 45-50 minutes until meat appears tender (some of meat will start separating on own) this is when you add sour cream I also add more seasonings now and stir to combine.
- In separate pot boil and cook noodles to directions on box or bag whatever they came in.
- Once noodles are done drain liquid and put back in pot.
- Your stroganoff will now be done taste and add more seasons if you like.. I make bowls of stroganoff now for my kids … My daughter likes all her pasta dishes lightly sauced.. So I don't mix yet.
- Once I make all bowls I combine the rest.
Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stroganoff sauce is a sour cream gravy made with beef broth that's thickened with flour. It's flavoured with mustard and has mushrooms in it. I love the pale brown creamy colour against the deep golden brown seared beef!