Flaky, Buttery Homemade Biscuits. Butter or line a baking sheet. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
And not just any type of cold. Alex and I experimented with various ways to keep the butter cold. But the easiest was freezing it! You can cook Flaky, Buttery Homemade Biscuits using 6 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Flaky, Buttery Homemade Biscuits
- Prepare 2 scant U.S. cups of flour (255 g or 9 oz).
- Prepare 2 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 6 Tbsp of unsalted butter (85 g or 3 oz).
- Prepare 3/4 U.S. cup of milk (180 ml) – use half cream for extra rich biscuits!.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of sugar (optional for a touch of sweetness).
If you think of it, you can pop the butter into the freezer the night before. Instructions ▢ In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. ▢ Add the butter and using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until pea-like crumbs form. ▢ Stir in the two beaten eggs with a wooden spoon until just combined. Then pour in the buttermilk until the. In a large bowl combine flour, kosher salt, sugar, and baking powder.
Flaky, Buttery Homemade Biscuits step by step
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. If using sugar, add it here too..
- Measure out butter and cut into small pieces. Add to the flour in bowl..
- Use fingers to squish butter into the flour, until it forms about pea-size chunks (the chunks are important!)..
- Add milk and lightly mix in until the dough just begins to come together. You want the chunks of butter to stay together for the most part..
- Remove dough from bowl and form into a fat rectangle. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour..
- After chilled, unwrap dough and dust with flour. Roll out to about 3 times the size. If it starts to stick just dust with a little more flour..
- Fold dough in three and roll out again..
- After rolling out the second time, fold in three again, re-wrap with plastic and chill in fridge for another hour..
- Remove from refrigerator and repeat the roll-out, fold, roll-out, fold process. You can now roll them out to cut and bake OR if you want even MORE flaky layers, refrigerate for an additional hour, then roll-fold, roll-fold one last time..
- After your last rolling and folding, you can roll out to cut. Roll dough out so it's 1/2 inch or 12mm thick. Cut into 4-6 squares with a knife, or cut out rounds with the rime of a glass, etc. (I made a little extra so the pictures shows more).
- Have your oven preheated to 400°F/200°C. Bake for 20-30 minutes until tops are golden brown. (Mine only took 20 minutes so keep an eye on them!).
Or, use a cheese grater to grate the butter. Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour. You can also use a fork, a butter. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or a fork till it resembles coarse crumbs.