Boeuf Bourguignon. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to. Sprinkle flour, marjoram, thyme, and pepper over beef.
Julia always said that boeuf bourguignon is nothing more than a very good beef stew. So give it a try on a winter's weekend. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside. You can cook Boeuf Bourguignon using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Boeuf Bourguignon
- You need 1 large of Tomato.
- You need 1 large of onion.
- It’s 6 stalks of parsley.
- You need 6 stalks of thyme.
- It’s 5 of bay leaves.
- You need 6 of cloves.
- Prepare 4 cubes of beef bouillon.
- You need 2 large of carrots.
- Prepare 14 oz of beef cubes (beef tenderloin or fillet – usually 200g per persons – I usually make a little extra, since it stays good in the fridge for up to 4 days).
- It’s 1 1/2 liter of Burgundy wine.
- Prepare of salt.
- Prepare of pepper.
Drain and dry the lardons and rind and reserve. For Bourguignon: Strain the meat from the vegetables and marinade; reserve marinade. Like coq au vin, its sister dish from the Burgundy region of France, beef Bourguignon is a stew of meat slowly simmered in hearty red wine along with pearl onions, mushrooms and crisp, cubed bacon. Cool, uncovered, then chill, covered (it tastes even better made ahead because it gives the flavors time to develop).
Boeuf Bourguignon instructions
- Marinate beef in 750ml of wine for 24 hours / leave in fridge.
- Finely chop tomato. Slice carrot lengthwise and cut into thirds. Slice onion in half and insert the cloves into the onion.
- Remove beef cubes from marinade and blot dry with paper towels..
- Fry beef cubes in a pot around 5-10 minutes (high heat, with a bit of olive oil).
- Remove beef from pot and fully coat with flour..
- Put beef with leftover marinade wine in a clean pot along with the above chopped veggies, as well as the parsley, thyme, bay leaves, remaining 750ml of wine, beef bouillion, salt, pepper.
- Slow cook on extremely low heat for 3 hours (2 is possible as well, but beef turns out softer after 3 hours).
If making ahead, it's easier to. Season beef with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven (or ovenproof pot) over medium heat, heat oil. Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic French stew of cubed beef, slow cooked in red wine and broth, and served with sautéed mushrooms and pearl onions. This is a family favorite recipe, from Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon in her book Julia's Kitchen Wisdom.