Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern). Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Browse The B&Q Painting Range Today. Grate frozen butter using large holes of a box grater. Toss together grated butter and flour in a medium bowl.
If using a food processor, just pulse a few times until this consistency is achieved. In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. You can have Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern) using 6 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern)
- It’s 3 1/2 cup of WHITELILY self rising flour.
- It’s 1 tbsp of white sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of butter flavor shortening.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of cold buttermilk.
- You need 1/2 cup of WHITELILY self rising flour for rolling and dusting.
- It’s 1/2 stick of melted butter for brushing.
Southern Buttermilk Biscuits Buttermilk biscuits are a way of life in the South, and every home cook has her favorite version. The perfect Southern biscuit is a combination of crispy and golden brown on the outside, but tender and light on the inside. How to Make Ahead Southern Buttermilk Biscuits. Southern buttermilk biscuits are best served warm right out of the oven slathered in butter.
Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern) instructions
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Using a bowl cut the shortening into the flour and sugar.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk.
- Stir the flour and buttermilk together just until combined (use a spatula this mix is very sticky) scraping sides of bowl as you go.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, dusting more flour on top and begin to spread out dough. Fold four times.
- Roll out dough to one and a 1/4 inch thickness and use a three inch biscuit cutter.
- Use small amount of shortening to grease your pan.
- Arrange biscuits slightly apart from each other (I used the leftover dough to make a special biscuit).
- Bake 10 minutes and take out of oven to brush with melted butter then bake an additional 4 to 5 minutes till golden brown.
- Brush with additional butter right after they come out of the oven they are soooooooo good ENJOY 😍.
To make ahead, prepare and cut out biscuits according to recipe instructions. Place on a lined baking sheet in the freezer. To bake, place on a lined baking sheet. Fluffy Southern Buttermilk Biscuits, served with a rich sausage gravy or topped with eggs, bacon, country ham or jam are a staple in the South. The smell of them baking is only eclipsed by the first heavenly bite.