【Chawan-Mushi】Non-sweet steamed egg custard. Retro Sweet Hampers with Huge Selection of Gift Ideas. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders!
Savory steamed egg custard is fairly common in East Asian cuisine but this Japanese version in individual cups is such a delight! It is normally served as an appetizer and is to be savored slowly. I have made this Chawan Mushi many, many times and each time it is a little different. You can cook 【Chawan-Mushi】Non-sweet steamed egg custard using 4 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of 【Chawan-Mushi】Non-sweet steamed egg custard
- Prepare 2 of Eggs (100cc).
- You need 300 cc of Dashi soup.
- Prepare 2 g of Salt.
- You need 8 cc of Light soy sauce.
Today, I have decided to use three ingredients you can easily find at your local grocery store – asparagus. One of the few Japanese dishes that is eaten with a spoon, Chawanmushi is the appetiser that is almost always served in Kaiseki ryori. The egg is mixed with dashi, soy sauce, mirin and salt, then carefully steamed with various ingredients in it. The texture of the egg custard is so smooth and delicate.
【Chawan-Mushi】Non-sweet steamed egg custard instructions
- Prepare Dashi soup by Kombu seaweed and Bonito flakes. If you don’t mind that you can use other soup stock (o^^o).
- Crack 2 eggs(100cc) into a bowl then mix well. Add cold Dashi stock(3 times eggs) and mix well..
- Add salt and soy sauce and mix well. Prepare your favourite ingredients: like spinach, mushroom, shrimp and chicken.
- Place your ingredients into a cocotte then pour egg liquid. The bubble on the surface can get off by a burner. Cover it with aluminum foil..
- Pour water until 1/3 of pan and place a cloth on the bottom. When it’s boiled place the cocotte on a cloth and cover the pan then steam for 3 minutes..
- 3 minutes later, put a chop stick between pan and cover for keeping 80℃ then steam for 10 minutes more..
- It’s done !! Decorate anything you want. Leaf, fish egg, vegetable etc..
- I have made a lot of video as 【Coozy Life】on YouTube. Please check it out and follow me (o^^o).
Steps Break the eggs into a bowl and beat them until uniform in color. Add the dashi, and salt and mix everything together evenly. Let the mixture rest until the bubbles disappear, or use a wire mesh skimmer to remove any foam on top. Add the edamame, shrimp, scallops and shiitake (or. Chawanmushi is a traditional Japanese appetiser made from steamed savoury egg custard and full of fillings such as prawns, kamaboko steamed fish cake, shiitake mushrooms and spring onions.